(fixed basically) KV25xBR - Audio through RGB connector, etc.

Started by DanAdamKOF, May 13, 2012, 08:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanAdamKOF

You guys can ignore this whole thread I guess.  I just wired some RCA jacks from the SCART plug to feed into a video input, and selecting that input has the audio come in with RGB. I wanted to avoid this since it uses up one composite input on the TV, but I guess it could be worse.

I am currently doing worse at games since I keep staring while playing...

----------

I originally had trouble getting RGB working but I have that now.  What lies below is when I had trouble getting RGB working.  Anyway, having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to get it to take an audio input through the 34 pin connector... hooked up Audio L/R into their respective places from SCART to Sony 34 pin RGB, no change, connected the audio L/R grounds to the video ground pin, no change, tried the video grounds with the audio select tied to +5V, and that audio select without the joined grounds, no change...

----------

EDIT: It doesn't like something to do with my Genesis.  PS2 via SCART is fine:

apparently you CAN use Composite as CSync.  Maybe the Genesis without its capacitors and resistors really upsets the TV.  I dunno.

----------

Hi guys.  I have a Sony KV25xBR.  Currently I'm testing the RGB input by connecting some 20awg standed wire to the socket on a Genesis 2.  I'm able to produce a horribly-colored image like this:

which looks to me like it's treating the signal as a digital RGB signal.
I tied the Mode Switch pin (21) to +5V and got the same picture.

My connector has the following connections made:
pins 34, 21 and 1 joined (audio select and Mode switch tied to +5V)
Pin 30 to Sync wire (Sync)
Pin 27 to Blue wire (Blue)
Pin 26 to Green wire (Green)
Pin 25 to Red wire (Red)
Pins 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13 joined to each other + Ground wire (audio R gnd, audio L gnd, Red gnd, Green gnd, Blue gnd, Sync gnd)

So to detail what I've tried, I tied 21 to +5V but that didn't make a difference in picture.  I found an old writeup on interfacing an Atari ST to this monitor, where it said to join pin 29 (Blanking input) to +5V, that sounded wrong but I tried it anyway, and it didn't make a difference (I undid it right afterwards).  Curiously, if I insert the Sync wire into Composite out, I get a very washed out full-color image.  Playable but very ugly looking.
Here's a picture of it with composite as sync:

So the missing link is to take the monitor from thinking it's treating the signal as digital RGB and make it think it's analog... I'm looking at Google searches like crazy, but I'm not finding much about this.

Thanks for any help :)

edit: I've done some more poking around, I've tied 33 (RGB/Normal select) to +5V, no change.  I tied 21 and 33 both to +5V, no change.  I tried each separately and together tied to ground, no change.