News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Memory Test for X68000

Started by eidis, February 28, 2012, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eidis

Hi Guys !

Today I made another archeological discovery which I would like to share with you. It is Memory Test for X68000 which could come in very handy.

Memory Test Program (MARCH) v1.12 by philly 1993

Usage: MTEST [SWITCH]

T     :TEXT    MEMORY TEST
    G     :GRAPHIC MEMORY TEST
    S     :SPRITE  MEMORY TEST
    Y     :SYSTEM  MEMORY TEST
    M     :MAIN    MEMORY TEST

Get it here:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Misc/Diagnostics/Memory%20Test%20Program%20v1.12/mtest.zip

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

BlueBMW

Ahh! Just what I was looking for!  Thanks!

Necrobump!

eidis

You are welcome. This tool does make life more simple ;)

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Hi guys.

I am running this memtest on my XVI HD with the XSIMVI board installed.
All tests says OK but the Main memory test (M option)... this option only outputs a japanese message to the screen and no test is run.

I can games such as Gouls'n Ghosts, Final Fight, Super Street Fighter, etc... so I supposed the memory is working?

Anyway, I would like to understand what is going on... I heard there is another men test "memtest68k", but could not find it.
Anyone know where to get it?

thanks
Roni

caius

Yes, there is  "memtest68k" by Neill Corlett (a god in the emulation scene), his website is offline but I saved a copy, get it from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?z8cfrfddsw1pvxn

You have to write it on a 1.2 MB or 1.4MB fomatted floppy.It's based on memtest86, a well known pc utility.

eidis

Hi Costa !

A translated version of MTEST.R is included in the HDD V4 Service Pack 2 BIN directory.

Get it here:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Games/V4%20Patches/hddv4sp2.Lzh

The MTEST.R will not work with individual switches if HIOCS.X driver is loaded. The message which you are seeing says "Remove the console driver". Here is how to get it working if you are using HDD image V4. Navigate to BIN directory, press "Q" two times (if you are in LHES), it will exit LHES and unload HIOCS.X. Then you can run MTEST.R with the desired switch.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I can transfer it to the computer.

Quote from: caius on July 07, 2014, 01:04:57 AM
Yes, there is  "memtest68k" by Neill Corlett (a god in the emulation scene), his website is offline but I saved a copy, get it from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?z8cfrfddsw1pvxn

You have to write it on a 1.2 MB or 1.4MB fomatted floppy.It's based on memtest86, a well known pc utility.

costa

Hi.

I am using version 4, no patches installed.
I did as you described, and I am getting "Out of memory" error and ma asked to kill the process.
If I accept to kill the process, it goes to command line with "#" prompt.

:)

EDIT: After pressing QQ, if I navigate to a directory where I previously have transferred memtest.r, I can run it without parameters successfully.
It has just finished testing the 8 MB RAM of my XVI HD successfully.

I don't know why, if I just quit to BIN (with QQ) and run memtest from there, it throws up the out of memory error.

Quote from: eidis on July 07, 2014, 05:56:14 PM
Hi Costa !

A translated version of MTEST.R is included in the HDD V4 Service Pack 2 BIN directory.

Get it here:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Games/V4%20Patches/hddv4sp2.Lzh

The MTEST.R will not work with individual switches if HIOCS.X driver is loaded. The message which you are seeing says "Remove the console driver". Here is how to get it working if you are using HDD image V4. Navigate to BIN directory, press "Q" two times (if you are in LHES), it will exit LHES and unload HIOCS.X. Then you can run MTEST.R with the desired switch.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

eidis

Hi Costa !

Please post your config.sys and autoexec.bat

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Hi,

Here is it.
It is pretty much the default of your disk image.. I have only added the driver for serial comm. But was getting the error before that addition.

CONFIG.SYS

FILES = 30
BUFFERS=20 1024
LASTDRIVE=Z:
USKCG = \SYS\USKCG.SYS
DEVICE = \SYS\FLOAT2.X
DEVICE = \SYS\RSDRV.SYS

AUTOEXEC.BAT

ECHO OFF
PATH A:\;A:\SYS;A:\BIN;A:\BASIC2;A:\ETC;A:\FILER\LHES
HIOCS.X
LHES
HIOCS.X /R
IF EXIST !Start.bat !Start.bat

Quote from: eidis on July 11, 2014, 05:18:24 AM
Hi Costa !

Please post your config.sys and autoexec.bat

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

eidis

Hi Costa !

I was unable to reproduce your error. Try removing uskcg.sys, float2.x and rsdrv.sys drivers from config.sys and see if it helps.

P.S. MTEST.R will not work if HIOCS.X is loaded.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

I updated the system to HDD image 4 SP2.
Added the MTEST.R to the image and restored it to the CF card.
MTEST seems to be working fine now.

thanks!

eidis

Hi Costa !

Glad it worked out for you. However this is very strange because the only difference of MTEST.R in SP2 is the translation. Could it be that something in your system is causing data corruption ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Yeh, I donĀ“t know, maybe?
I will been working a lot with these machines in the next weeks, so I will keep in touch.
If I find out what was going on, I will update this thread.

thanks a lot.

spud

Sorry to revive this thread. Trying to run a memory test program.
So far haven't had any trouble yet, but I want a working memory test program before I install my extra 4MB.

When booting from memtest68k floppy I only get the attached screen, it doesn't continue to load :(
Anyone knows how I could get this to work?

When running the mtest.r I get a flashing screen with memory test 1.12 1993. Is this how it should look?
I was expecting the same screen as I should get from memtest68k.

leonk

Have you booted this image? https://www.mediafire.com/?z8cfrfddsw1pvxn

How are you booting it? what X68000 computer?  It could be that you have a failing floppy drive, and it can't read all the sectors of the disk.  Have you been able to boot HumanOS issue free on the same floppy drive?

spud

Apparently the flickering screen of mtest.r is normal. I was able to run full tests successfully with that. Floppy drives seem fine as well, have successfully written xdfs to floppy and run from it.

I'll try the image you provided, thanks a lot!!

hoshikawa

the screen will change as the contents of the frame buffer are altered per the video ram test

spud

OK, so I installed a PIO-6834-2/4M-1 populated with 4MB.
Dipswitches set all to off, since I have 2MB inside.
Configured switch.x to 6 MB
Ran mtest.r M succesfully, so I assume the PIO-6834-2/4M-1 is fine, right?

aje_fr

Quote from: spud on December 29, 2018, 02:04:39 AMSorry to revive this thread. Trying to run a memory test program.
So far haven't had any trouble yet, but I want a working memory test program before I install my extra 4MB.

When booting from memtest68k floppy I only get the attached screen, it doesn't continue to load :(
Anyone knows how I could get this to work?

When running the mtest.r I get a flashing screen with memory test 1.12 1993. Is this how it should look?
I was expecting the same screen as I should get from memtest68k.

I know this thread is quite old and you surely have found the solution.
But if it can help someone else in the future.
Today I got the same trouble, when starting memtest68K, the software hangs on "Memory 2048K ..."
The error is due to the RTC on the bottom board that is not working any more.

Craftsman1234

Quote from: eidis on July 07, 2014, 05:56:14 PMtwo times (if you are in LHES), it will exit LHES and unload HIOCS.X. Then you can run MTEST.R with the desired switch.

Total noob here but how do you unload HIOCS.X ?

incrediblehark

HIOCS.X /R at command prompt