News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Twin Copy weirdness

Started by SuperDeadite, January 23, 2012, 01:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

Hi, my first post here.

Anyway I've had an XVI for awhile, and over the last few weeks I've been going through my collection and making backups directly on the
machine by Twin Copy.   Most games would work just fine, but a few like Nemesis 90'Kai would give me a CRC after booting, I assumed the
copy protection was just too strong.  (My original retail copy works 100%, never had an issue)

But today I got in a SuperHD I had picked up for cheap, mostly to grab the goodies that came with it.  Out of curiosity I stuck my Nemi 90
backup disks in there, and they booted right up, game loaded 100%, and it's worked three times in a row.  :o

I have an original Bosconian that always gives me CRC errors on my XVI,  I put it in the SuperHD, and it gave me a CRC at first, but then I
tried again, and it booted up normally.  I then used Twin Copy on the Super with my failing Bosco, and made a backup that works 100% of the
time on both machines.

So it seems like my XVI is way more picky about disks then the SuperHD is.  Is this normal behavior?  Or do you think my XVI drives are dieing? 
Might just swap the Super's drives into the XVI and see what happens.

NFG

I'd be inclined to blame the drives.  There are a lot of old parts in there that are slowly failing on you.

RobIvy64

"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

It is always good idea to replace capacitors in those old drives. My ACE HD had a faulty second drive which was fixed by the before mentioned mod. Strange or unexplainable errors often are linked to bad capacitors.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

SuperDeadite

Yeah it was the drives.  I swapped in the drives from the Super, and now the XVI reads everything.  :)   The new drives
serial number is almost 3 times higher then the old ones, so quite a bit younger.  The new drives are a lot quieter too. 
Thanks for the replies.

eidis

Hi SuperDeadite !

Check out this thread:
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:advanced_floppy_driver_repair

If you have the same type of drives you could try to repair them.

Best of luck !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

SuperDeadite

The bad drives have that "02" sticker on them.  The new drives from the SuperHD have an "05" sticker on them. 
What's really odd is while the XVI runs way better after the drive swap,  the SuperHD is having no trouble reading
the problem disks with the old "02" drives...  ???  Eitherway my XVI plays everything so I'm not complaining. 
Might save the SuperHD for a backup system though.  I bought it for the accessories and assumed it was junk,
but on the power supply is a nice sticker saying it was refreshed in Oct 2007.  Might be worth keeping for spares...

The new drives run better, but occasionally a disk gets stuck in drive 1.   This never happened with the old drives....
Oh the fun of old tech, lol.