News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

question

Started by yukin, December 13, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukin

noob question, i try to install cotton on my x68k but i got a CRC error. so that mean one or both of my floppy disk are corrupt. so how i delete the folder that was created by the x68k on the hard disk?

thanks

eidis

Hi !

That is correct, the floppy disk has a bad block.  You have two options:

1) If you use LHES, navigate with arrow keys to the desired directory, press "DEL" and then "ENTER".
2) From pure DOS type "del nameofthedirectory" without brackets. Answer the prompt with "Y"

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

P.S. Remind me to do a tutorial on basic DOS commands ;)
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

yukin

thanks but after i confirm to delete the folder by pressing Y, it give me a message in japanese i dont know what it mean and the folder dont disapear.

Magic Knight

It's probably telling you that you can't delete the folder because there are files in it.

If you've already deleted everything there, there are probably hidden system files. Use attrib -hr *.* to make everything unhidden and read/write. Then try deleting them. To remove the directory you need to use rmdir.

yukin

yukin

I have another question. i saw that when im playing Phalanx on the first stage. sometime the beat drum doesnt play when theres a lot of action on the screen. is it my my x68000?

NFG

Is it possible that the system's just run out of sound channels?  A lot of MegaDrive-era games would start degrading the music when they needed more channels for sound effects.  Game gets busy, music gets a little shallow.

yukin

is it because of my version of x68000 that i have these?

i have a x68000 expert HD
with 2mb ram

eidis

Hi Yukin,

Sorry for the late reply. The X68000 has only one ADPCM (digital sample playback) channel. A program called PCM8 was created to remedy this situation which allows  the physical channel to play 8 ADPCM channels via software mixing. I am speculating that Phalanx does not use PCM8 so whenever two or more digital samples need to be played at the same time, only one gets played thus silencing others. I'm pretty sure that your X68000 is perfectly fine. If in doubt, you can always test Phalanx on an emulator.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

RobIvy64

I can confirm what Yukin is describing as what happens on my X68000 Super when playing Phalanx. I have always attributed it to there only being one OKIM6295.

The drums disappear when there are explosions, as described.  Seems normal to me.
"Console Mods" lurker

yukin

thanks for the info. i done some research and i found a expansion card for the x68000 called mercury unit that provide 8 pcm chanel. thats what you were saying about the pcm8. if i can find one it could be more fun to play without cut sounds in the game.

NFG

The PCM8 was a software module that any game could use.  Phalanx doesn't.

The Mercury unit is a sound card that games need special software to use.  Phalanx doesn't.

There are no fixes for you here, sorry.

yukin

ok then for the pcm8 i will forget that.

is it possible to know what configuration this guy use on the emulator to have the full sound?
X68000 emu Phalanx

RobIvy64

It doesn't bother me.

Each game system (and this case, computer) has it's own unique sound hardware and characteristics. It's one of the many charms of these old machines.

"Console Mods" lurker

RobIvy64

And Yukin, you're probably going to find that emulators won't accurately portray the games running on the real hardware.
"Console Mods" lurker

yukin

yeah it's ok. i know now i will never be able to get the full sound. but i try phalanx on my emulator and it doing the same thing from my x68k.

Magic Knight

Maybe you have to use MIDI for the full sounds, I can't check it anymore as I sold my copy.

yukin

that could be a possibility. thanks for the suggestion. i will try when i will receive my midi board.

RobIvy64

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the YM2151 tunes over the sound of MIDI.
"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

yukin

yeah maybe for phalanx, the midi song is not the best but castlevania  :o