AV-mod for Odyssey 2

Started by WERY, August 25, 2011, 03:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WERY

I am new to this site and I thought that I should share some mods that I have done myself to systems that lacked better connections than RF-antenna.

My first theory I had when looking inside the Odyssey 2 was that this must be the easiest console in the world to modify for AV and it looks like I was right. I really was easy

These are the parts that are going to be used for the mod(not every circuit is in the picture)

This is the reason I realized why the AV-mod is easy to perform on the Odyssey 2. They newer used an integrated RF-modulator which means that you easily can remove it from the console buy just simple unscrew 2 screws and unplug the cable that has 3 wires which are non the less than; Audio, +5V and Video(why it is so easy to do this mod when you dont have to look for where they are being output on the mobo)

The antennacable

The rear of the system. I wanted to put the RCA jacks right beside the powerjack but the mobo is in the way so I have to put them somewhere else

I will remove the RF-modulator from the shielding and use the shield for the AV-card

When you modify an Odyssey 2 you build the AV-card like this:

For a sharp picture, use a 100nF capacitor between +5V and GND

When you modify a Videopac G7000, do like this:

To lower the strong color a 270pF capacitor is connected from Video-In to GND. If you do this on an Odyssey 2, the color will vanish and the picture gets extremely bad so don not mix the schematics with each other

Here is the RF-modulator. I will remove the curcuitboard inside the shield and replace it with the AV-card that I am building

Had to solder for a while to remove the RF-modulator

Now the AV-card is put inside the RF-shield and on the subside of the board there are rubberfeet that will protect the circuit from getting in contact with the metallic case. One cable from the circuit is soldered to the case for GND and another one goes from the case to the GND on the RCA jacks.

Once finished, the case is back on the place it belongs and screwed with the GND cable from the mobo. The trimpot must be on the lowest level to get satisfactory picture

In the beginning it was maxed and the picture got bad but now it is good. I use Crypo-Logic to test the color and sharpness in picture and it works great now

Also tried with the PAL version of Pickaxe Pete and it shows a good picture

I recently saw another mod that could be done, probably only to the G7000 but is was far more complicated with more resistors etc so I highly recomend this one, at least for the Odyssey 2. I don not have a Videopac and have newer used one so my experince stands with the Odyssey 2. But that other guide has information on how to modify the G7000 for RGB
Brother of Bros