N64 RGB mod doesn't work

Started by Fix_Metal, June 22, 2011, 09:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fix_Metal

Hello everybody. I finally opened up my N64 for modifying to RGB.
It's supposed to be a japanese one. mODEL N°: NUS-001(JPN), Serial: NUJ11342834. It has the VDC-NUS chip @ U4 and the PCB Revision is: NUS-CPU-03.
It's supposed to work!
I've tried soldering the 3 extra wires onto the pins and didn't have luck. I thought that my LCD TV (on which I play with all my consoles, from NES to Dreamcast) wouldn't display the picture because of too small signals on the RGB lines (hence the dark problem).
Whatever, I lifted the pins from the board and soldered the 3 wires onto them. It doesn't work either. No picture, no audio, no nothing on the scart channel.
I'm using a Nintendo PAL Gamecube RGB cable from which I unsoldered the 3 220uF caps. It works perfectly with my SNES.
Maybe it's just that the N64 is dead?  :o

Fix_Metal

I'm confirming that it's dead. I tested just the audio signal out, putting it on rca connector into my TV and it's just a crackle thing. All the scart pinouts are @ 12VAC and near 0VDC.
Fuck, I guess I'll have to find another N64. >:(

NFG

Before starting these mods, it's never a bad idea to make sure the thing works first.  Test it with a regular old AV cable, then start cutting.  =)

RGB32E

In addition to verifying that the console actually works, ALWAYS turn the power switch on for a second or two AFTER disconnecting the AC adapter from the system before opening!  The N64 AC adapter has a circuit breaker inside, so a seemingly dead system might not actually be dead.  However, if you've left the AC adapter disconnected from AC and the N64 for about 20 min or so and tried powering the system again and it's still dead, then yeah, time for another N64.  Also, I finally tried the RGB mod with the THS7314 and it's definitely the new defacto mod...  No lifting of legs or removing encoded outputs!  ;D  ;D

Fix_Metal

I'm definitly sure the N64 is dead.
Kinda badass thing. It's only my fault: I bought the console itself literally years ago, proposing myself to buy the games and so later.
At the time I just tested if it would power up. I think at least 7 years passed since then. I bought the first game a week ago and...CRAP.
Well, I'm going to get another N64 jap...someday.
RGB32E, would you please tell me where you bought that IC?  :)

RGB32E

Fix_Metal

I didn't expect TI would have a sample program like Maxim. That's georgeous! Done ordering  ;D
p.s. FedEx shipping? Do they want to get failed 'cause of samples??  ;D