how to have PS2 pad analog mode on by default

Started by pondser, May 12, 2011, 03:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pondser

Hey,
I've figured you guys are most qualified in field of mods

I've got this ps2 pad hooked up to my pc via a twin usb adapter
I'd like it to be in analog mode by default

This isn't an issue of me being lazy – I'm hacking it to be part of a 4-analog controller interface as part of my diploma project. It will be a case/box (a kind of interface) which will have analog nubs embedded into it. I need both nubs to be active every time as there won't be any other buttons. Now, only one nub is sending(?) data on default (default state being digital)

Obviously, I've already removed it from the plastic part and removed the vibrators. I've tried affixing a conductor pad onto the analog/digital - switch but it doesn't switch mode to analog by default.

ulao

To turn on analog mode you send the appropriate command.

ATT_ON();
   spi_mSend(0x01);  // set analog default mode ( does not work on all controllers )
   spi_mSend(0x44);
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x01);  //analog.
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   ATT_OFF();   

but you must be in config mode to do it,

ATT_ON();
   spi_mSend(0x01);   // configure mode
   spi_mSend(0x43);
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x01); // enter
   spi_mSend(0x00);
   spi_mSend(0x5A);  
   spi_mSend(0x5A);  
   spi_mSend(0x5A);  
   spi_mSend(0x5A);  
   spi_mSend(0x5A);
   ATT_OFF();   
The psx/ps2 adapters I make do this for example.

Of course to do this you must have access to the micro code and being the fact the twin adapter is not open source your SOL

To do it manually you would need to wire a switch up to the analog button internally in the play station ( like you did ) . To do the  manual option to default, you would need some sort of a signal to operate a read relay ( i.e the power source ).  My advice is ditch the twin crap and get an adapter that does the auto on, this will be far the cheapest option. Though its not to hard to try this.  You may need to delay the switch effect, so a timer may be needed (try with just the relay first ).  The reason I dont think the delay is need is because most relays take a few micro seconds to move the leads and close the circuit. Though a resistor will help, make sure to check the data sheet for the read relay you get. You can get them online or at a radio shack. You are going to want a close open switch! So that upon the +5 signal , the switch closes then open.

For a delay you could use a cap for the time constant ( rc) resistance * capacitance in farads.  Try a 1k resistor with a 1nf cap, should be plenty of time.

(+)-/\/\/--/\---|  |
(-)  ----------\/---|  |

/\/\/  = 1k resister
/\
\/ = cap 1nf

| |
| | = read relay  Normally open, 5 volts to close, then release.