[PlayStation] GCon/GunCon lightgun and RGB vs. RCA

Started by djlooka, April 16, 2011, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djlooka

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a couple of GCon (known as GunCon in the US) knockoff lightguns for the PlayStation.
The lightgun has 2 output cables: one goes into the controller port, and the other is a female2male RCA yellow jack.
This configuration forces me to use the old RCA cables which is a pity since most of the GCon games I own are in NTSC: this means only black and white images and you can imagine how crappy a shooting game becomes without any colour (e.g.: shoot only the targets of your colour = FFFFFUUUUUUU...).
I do own a SCART cable for PSX/PS2 which I bought as RGB but it doesn't seem to work correctly since it only delivers black and white images....
Any ideas on how to fix this?

NFG

Sony does make a small AV box that connects to the Multi AV port, splitting up the signals so you get RCA and Svideo outputs on the box, and another Multi AV port for your RGB cable.  Get one.

As for the RGB cable, it's a common problem: many SCART cables are just glorified composite, either because they're not wired properly or because they were never intended to carry RGB.  Start checking the wiring and find out why.

djlooka

Updates:
-  checked the cable, seems to be wired correctly for RGB;
- tried the PS2 @ my GF's, on a Sony Trinitron CRT:
   + everything looks fine, the picture is coloured even with NTSC games;
   + the lightguns sorta work (they're not very precise and aiming is quite difficult sometimes as the pointer moves from side to side on the screen, but at least we could play Time Crisis II).

The point is, now: my TV did work correctly with RGB on other consoles, why not with PSX/PS2? Maybe the 2 SCART inputs are not both RGB-ready...

@Lawrence: That AV box you mentioned, I can't find it... Does it have a specific name?

kidpanda

Djlooka, its called the "AV Adaptor - SCPH1160/94057" I have one and its a necessity for my guncons. Hope that helps  ;)

imparanoic

imparanoic

clone guns are poor quality, not worth th bother, real guncons are far better and accurate