News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

What is a jumper?

Started by user56, March 05, 2004, 02:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

user56

I'm new to this but I need to mod a Genesis 3.

What is a "jumper"?

Here is what it says in the guide:

"There are four jumpers,. The bottom two are the JP/US jumpers. The top two are assumed to be the 50/60 Hertz jumpers (assumed, because I have neither software nor hardware to test them). To switch between them simply move the jumper from one to the other location. A more ideal solution is a switch - you can easily tell which is the common point."

It says to "move" the jumper, what exactly does that mean? Is it easy?

Please help, thanks.

NFG

A jumper is something that connects two points.  It shorts, (completes) an electric circuit.  Most PC motherboards have jumpers, or clusters of them, that are little plastic rectangles that slide over two pins.  For the gen3 there are obviously no pins, there's a soldered-on jumper.  Remove it, and replace it or use anything else to short the other jumper instead.

How do i remove it?
Do I have to solder it back on?
Thanks for all your help.

NFG

Use your soldering iron to remove it, and as I said, you can use anything to short it - trying to re-use those tiny surfacemount components will make you insane.

Lesmot

Those small jumpers are pretty easy to remove. Depending on the space available around the jumper, you could use de-soldering braid, (sold at most RadioShacks and electronic supply stores), or tweezers. Pinch one side of the jumper with the tweezers and heat that same end with the soldering iron. When the solder is hot, turn the jumper 90 degrees, or lift it up, but it's easier to turn it. Then just heat the side still connected and remove it with the tweezers.  If you need to close the circut again later, just put a blob of solder between the points and remember to always electrical tape the solder blob, if you go that route.  
Hey there, fancy pants!