New 3-mode 3.5" floppy disk drive on the list

Started by caius, December 23, 2010, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caius

Hi all,
I start this new topic to let you that Sony 3.5" flopy disk drive model PCGA-UFD5 is 3-mode compatible so you can succesfully transfer .XDF images back to 3.5" floppy disks and read them in your X68000 Compact.Obviously you can use it also for writing back file  images for PC-9801, Fm-TOWNS and other computer which use 3.5"  floppy disks formatted at 1.2MB.

pmack

I bought an external USB drive from Dynex (DX-EF101) and it is also working. Funny thing is that it works in one of my computers but not on the other... and another thing I noticed is, you always have to first format the floppies using the default Format option and then format it again using the special 1.2 options.

caius

No, with my Sony I format the disk once under prompt of DOS and then  I write the .XDF image with DiskImage.What do you mean for  "special 1.2 option"?

pmack

I mean FORMAT A: /A:1024 /T:77 /N:8 /U. If I try to run this command in a unformatted disk it will fail. I need to run format a: and then run the command with the options. I am using a Win 7 machine though so that might make a difference.

In any case, after running the second format everything else works and I can transfer games using DiskImage_13b .