3.5" floppy drive for X68000 XVI Compact

Started by caius, December 09, 2010, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caius

Hi all,
Regarding X68000 XVI Compact, is it possible to use   other  internal 3.5" floppy drive instead of the original ones?
Thanks

P.S.
I cannot indentify the manifacturer and model of the original internal 3.5" floppy unit of the X68000 XVI Compact, does anybody know it?Are they proprietary?

netwalka

Quote from: caius on December 09, 2010, 11:47:23 PM
Hi all,
Regarding X68000 XVI Compact, is it possible to use   other  internal 3.5" floppy drive instead of the original ones?
Thanks

P.S.
I cannot indentify the manifacturer and model of the original internal 3.5" floppy unit of the X68000 XVI Compact, does anybody know it?Are they proprietary?

2 FDD, all of them gone?

If, at least, one drive is alive, keep try to boot from FDD.

There is a jumper blocks for Drive Select(DS) on the FDD, if my memory is correct.

And each FDD's jumper setting is little bit different.

Change each drive's jumper setting vice versa.

And exchange FDD's positions, too.

Then the second drive, now No.1, will work as No.0 drive.

Then try to connect and setup external SCSI HDD or MO.

FDD is not that much needed, as far as I experienced .

Boot from HDD do almost everything.

You can use 2HDBOOT.X or 2HDSIM.X to substitute real FDD.

And big volume games usually support installing to HDD.

Don't give up, caius.

caius

Hi and thanks for replying.
The floppy drive I broke (because it's my fault, I was changing capacitors on the floppy PCB and I accidentally broke a small slat cable which connetcs upper head to pcb) is the no.1 so   I could boot from no.0 but I'm a perfectionist and I want all in order...I'ts a pity because the fact it doesn't load any disk  depends surely from my bad equipment, pratically my floppy USB is not able to format and write at 1.2MB so when X68000 rejects them...Instead I thought it was flault of bad capacitors.Really 3.5" floppy units for Compact mode are rare, someone telle me  I could use other 3.5" flopy drive form Fm-Towns or PC98 but , even if it worked,  I'd lost some cool features like soft eject.
Regarding the possibility of using external HDD or CF I don't know where to begin but , surely, I DON'T GIVE UP..at limit I'll buy a broken Compact model or another one new, poor my wallet :'(

netwalka

Quote from: caius on December 10, 2010, 06:14:57 PM
Hi and thanks for replying.
The floppy drive I broke (because it's my fault, I was changing capacitors on the floppy PCB and I accidentally broke a small slat cable which connetcs upper head to pcb) is the no.1 so   I could boot from no.0 but I'm a perfectionist and I want all in order...I'ts a pity because the fact it doesn't load any disk  depends surely from my bad equipment, pratically my floppy USB is not able to format and write at 1.2MB so when X68000 rejects them...Instead I thought it was flault of bad capacitors.Really 3.5" floppy units for Compact mode are rare, someone telle me  I could use other 3.5" flopy drive form Fm-Towns or PC98 but , even if it worked,  I'd lost some cool features like soft eject.
Regarding the possibility of using external HDD or CF I don't know where to begin but , surely, I DON'T GIVE UP..at limit I'll buy a broken Compact model or another one new, poor my wallet :'(

Refer to this picture for repair

caius

Thanks for replying.My situation is this: