Monitor Sony KX-14CP1 and X68000 VGA...

Started by Dhampird, December 09, 2010, 02:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhampird

Hello i bought a X68000 XVI, i´m waiting that arrives from Japan next weeks. I read about X68000 to VGA conversion in this forum, i have a Monitor Sony KX-14CP1, i know this monitor support 15Khz and 21Khz (not sure if 31Khz is supported, i doubt it).

In the Sony KX-14CP1 there is a RGB Digital Input, its a older input conector called "EIAJ 8-pin connector", it seems that this input EIAJ 8 Pin jack are found on old VTR decks and receiver/monitors. 8 pin to 8 pin cables allowed convenient connection for off the air recording since old VTR's don't usually have built in tuners and required being connected to a separate TV receiver / monitor.

Here a diagram with signals explanation take from manual about this "EIAJ 8-pin connector" :

Then i read in the forum that the signals that i need to build  a X68000 VGA cable to can use X68000 in Pc monitor LCD or CRT are:

Red
Green
Blue,
H + V Sync
Ground.

I´m wondering if the  "EIAJ 8-pin connector" signals (seeing in the image) will be compatible signals  to build a converter using a male "EIAJ 8-pin connector" plug instead VGA, i dont know if the  "EIAJ 8-pin connector" Digital RGB signals are the same signals that a normal VGA cable manage,  will be great to know if the Sony KX-14CP1 could manage VGA signal, about this i remembered that i saw a picture from a KX-14CP1 seller that include a VGA conector installed on panel, it seems that this conector was added manually by anyone, but there is no info how to get adapt it, i opened my monitor and i noticed that will be possible add the VGA conector taking the  "EIAJ 8-pin connector"  signals from motherboard conector solders.

The most important will be know if that Digital RGB  signals will be same like VGA signal to try with X68000. Please if anyone know about this comment.

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

NFG

The connector shown is useless for your project.  It's a digital connector, and the X68000 is analogue

Dhampird

Ok,  thanks "Lawrence" for reply, then i think that the only solution to use my monitor Sony KX-14CP1 with X68000 will be  build a RGB SCART 21pin analog adapter taking signals from Japanese X68000 RGB-15 Connector.  I've noticed that the  X68000 RGB-15 Connector signals H-Sync (pin 14) and V-Sync (pin 15) are separate. In normal SCART 21pin, the SYNC signals are manage together and goes to PIN20 (COMPOSITE IN), i think that i have to conect both  H-Sync and V-Sync  X68000 signals directly to PIN 20 in SCART, i found in the forum this link:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

There explains many ways to conect from VGA to RGB, i´m wondering which will be better diagram to use with X68000 RGB-15 ---> SCART 21, i think  if only fixing the SYNC with diode diagram would be a perfect solution to build RGB SCART cable, please if you/ anyone knows a more specific detailed circuit to build a  X68000 to RGB SCART cable would be good to know.

I think is the only way to use my monitor, anyways i also bought from Japan a video card SHARP CZ-6BV1, will arrive to me in next weeks, i´m wondering if this video output card could be any solution. The card have RGB ANALOGUE OUT (probably same like X68K have in-built). S-VIDEO OUT, COMPOSITE OUT, TV CONTROL. I dont know exactly how this card will work, you could see the post here:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4298.msg29002#msg29002

About X68000 -->VGA adapter,  i read that some users had bad experiencies conecting the adapter directly to LCD/TV or LCD Monitors, but worked right using only CRT monitors, i´m dont sure if this is a really a problem or if another X68K user had same experiencies with LCD TV/ LCD Monitors with the VGA adapter, i read about this problem here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31243&start=0&sid=66589a9e484809cb5245244ace45d757

Summary, i think i´ll  build both cables:
- RGB SCART adapter to use with my Sony Monitor and another LCD TV´s, will be great to know which diagram will be better to try for the X68K-->SCART adapter.
- VGA adapter to conect with LCD/Monitor or CRT, will be great know if that VGA adapter will have any problems related with LCD Monitor/TV.

Thanks a lot for reply.
Regards.