Help: Error reading disks (Compact XVI)

Started by pmack, November 28, 2010, 09:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmack

All,

I have followed the instructions found here (http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3917.0) to create 3.5 disks for my XVI. The creation process works fine  for both ntrawrite and DiskImage_13b (I am using a USB drive). However, no matter what image I burn to the floppies I get the following error when starting it in my computer (see image for error 1). Sometimes if I click keys a few times I get the message that looks like a abort/retry (see image for error 2)

Any ideas?

netwalka

Quote from: pmack on November 28, 2010, 09:47:29 AM
All,

I have followed the instructions found here (http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3917.0) to create 3.5 disks for my XVI. The creation process works fine  for both ntrawrite and DiskImage_13b (I am using a USB drive). However, no matter what image I burn to the floppies I get the following error when starting it in my computer (see image for error 1). Sometimes if I click keys a few times I get the message that looks like a abort/retry (see image for error 2)

Any ideas?

Did you check out "internal FDD No." switch at the backpanel? It should be "0 1" side to boot from the internal fdd.

OR......,  
The problem comes from the malfunction or leaking of bunch of condensers at the mainboard.
If it is not known that which condenser is for what function,  maybe you  should change all of them on the MOBO to new one.
After that, I guess, the "bus error(バスエラー)" would be clear. That's what I experienced before.

pmack

That's great! The FDD switch was the issue, it is working great now!

One new question though: I am using a VGA cable and some games (like TwinBee) go blank after the initial loading screen. Is this related to the 15/31khz issue? If so, how can I change the mode for these games?

Thanks!!!

eidis

Hi!

As far as I know the video mode can only be changed in Capcom games. For others you will need a 15khz - 31khz compatible monitor. X68000 looks best on CRT.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

NFG

I thought most games had a 15/31kHz mode.  In fact, a forum member did a giant list of what games had it, and I think the required moves so you could set it blind.

Ah, found it.  Check it out.

pmack

Thanks for the link. DaiMakaiMura is listed as 31Mhz but it seems to be 15Mhz. I tried to press help and many other keys but no result.

Would it make a difference to connect the VGA cable to a LCD TV instead of a computer monitor? I wish I had a CRT but those are crazy expensive to import...

Magic Knight

DaiMakaiMura works at both 15KHz and 31KHz. There's a menu option to change it, check the manual for details. I missed it off the list somehow.

pmack

Hey Magic Knight
I don't have the manual. Looking for this online I can see a video tha shows that there is a "Option Mode" link on the main screen and in that page there is a "CRT Mode" option that can be changed. Do you know what value that needs to be set?

Also, is there a key shortcut or something like changing a config file that could get me the same result? The screen is blank so changing the menu option will be a bit tricky...

Thanks

netwalka

Quote from: pmack on November 29, 2010, 08:59:03 AM
Hey Magic Knight
I don't have the manual. Looking for this online I can see a video tha shows that there is a "Option Mode" link on the main screen and in that page there is a "CRT Mode" option that can be changed. Do you know what value that needs to be set?

Also, is there a key shortcut or something like changing a config file that could get me the same result? The screen is blank so changing the menu option will be a bit tricky...

Thanks

You can use X68000 emulator to know&remember the key sequences to enter option menu,  even when you're blind with the real x68000.  Like  ↓↓↓btn1→btn1....just exmaple =-)

Or

You can make a special cable with a simple circuit to make composite sync output from h/v sync that comes from x68000
"And" you need monitor with SCART input or upscan converter like XRGB series that has 15khz 21 pin multi inputs(looks same to SCART but pinout is totally different)

http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=av%3Adreamcast_480i-480p_scart_cable&media=av:vga_sync_combiner.gif

Or

simply buy this kind of converter (i'm not sure this will work with x68000,though)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-15Khz-RGB-to-VGA-Converter-Scaler_W0QQitemZ260399053810

"15KHz output only" games require you many things, that is, you know like, Extra Cash!! :-D

Simply forgetting 15KHz games would be another good answer!! HAHAHA.