How To Brighten An RGB Signal

Started by akastaff, October 13, 2010, 01:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akastaff

Hi, hoping an RGB guru can help..the senario is simple. I have a JAMMA game board connected normally to a 15hz arcade monitor and all works perfect but the image is very dull. At first I thought the monitor was to blame and swapped it only to get the same result and so I tried a different board and perfect picture with nice vivid colours etc.

The board works except for the dull image so I need a way to boost up the picture intensity so brightening the image without altering the monitor chasis or the remote board which are set fine for the other board...

Can solder, can get parts etc...just need the tech info if it is possible.. needs to work simular to the N64 booters circuit but obviousl no SCART involved, just RGB / Sync & GND.

All help most welcome as its a gun game "Carnevil" and with a dull picture the guns will not register.

Drakon

wait.....don't arcade moniters usually have a brightness/contrast knob?  My friend owns several arcade machines and he's got brightness/contrast adjustment on his screens.  Or did you already turn those up on your screen?

and wiring the n64 amp to rgbsg wires without scart doesn't sound too difficult.  red from pcb goes into red input of the amp.  Red output of the amp goes to the screen....you can get power for the amp from the machine psu or a seperate psu.

akastaff

Yes arcade monitors have brightness and contrast adjustments and I have also checked the screen control, these are not at fault, it is down to low signal output from the board. I tried using the N64 booster on it but to no avail, could not get an image at all. :(

Arasoi

It might be worth checking the Carnevil board to see if it has RGB adjustment pots  of some kind on it. Most boards do not have this, but I have seen it on a few. I couldn't find a manual online for Carnevil so I can't confirm either way.

Drakon

Quote from: Arasoi on October 14, 2010, 12:28:49 AM
It might be worth checking the Carnevil board to see if it has RGB adjustment pots  of some kind on it. Most boards do not have this, but I have seen it on a few. I couldn't find a manual online for Carnevil so I can't confirm either way.

unless there's something in the game menu that lets you adjust rgb level?  I don't see why the n64 amp doesn't work.  Are the sure that the amp is wired correctly and working?  Do you have something else that you can test the amp on the make sure it's doing the job?

*edit* try leaving the sync signal unamped and see if that works when you amp the rgb signal.  Maybe the njm throws off the sync for arcade moniters.  From my experience in dealing with rgb you really have to make sure the sync is working right.  And if all else fails you can always try a lm1881 to clean up the sync signal.