Advertising on GamesX

Started by kendrick, October 11, 2010, 12:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendrick

Contrary to the popular perception, as moderator I don't have a dim view of advertising here at GamesX. We have some informal rules regarding personal sales, and you're also free to link to external sites that are storefronts or auctions. In general, as long as you're following all the normal forum rules then you're free to try to sell things here.

I would like to request that if you do link to external sites, you do so with full disclosure. That means you say where the URL takes you, rather than embedding a hidden link in regular text. Putting a standing advertisement in your signature line is also something I'd prefer you not do. Also, if you're earning a commission, or if you're linking to your own business, then you should say so clearly and unambiguously so we know exactly what it is you're representing. Finally, you should refrain from posting in someone else's project thread or mod thread with an advertisement for a pre-built product. I can guarantee you that just because someone is interested in building something, it doesn't always mean they're also willing to buy one already made.

The last thing to say is that I will delete posts with advertising if I feel that they're misleading or otherwise improper in the ways I've described above. You can feel free to send me or Lawrence a private message if you feel this has been done unfairly or in error.

kendrick

Hi all. As a reminder, advertising shouldn't be done in someone else's question or project thread. If you want to sell something, or if you're looking to buy something, that's a discussion topic by itself.

kendrick

As a reminder, everyone.

Quote from: kendrick on October 11, 2010, 12:06:29 AM
I would like to request that if you do link to external sites, you do so with full disclosure. That means you say where the URL takes you, rather than embedding a hidden link in regular text. Putting a standing advertisement in your signature line is also something I'd prefer you not do. Also, if you're earning a commission, or if you're linking to your own business, then you should say so clearly and unambiguously so we know exactly what it is you're representing. Finally, you should refrain from posting in someone else's project thread or mod thread with an advertisement for a pre-built product. I can guarantee you that just because someone is interested in building something, it doesn't always mean they're also willing to buy one already made.

The last thing to say is that I will delete posts with advertising if I feel that they're misleading or otherwise improper in the ways I've described above. You can feel free to send me or Lawrence a private message if you feel this has been done unfairly or in error.