PC Engine Interface unit beeping?

Started by Frank_fjs, August 17, 2010, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_fjs

Hi,

I'd really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me.

I have a PC Engine Interface unit and the original white PC Engine console.  I don't as yet have the CD unit. 

Anyhow, for some reason the interface unit is omitting a beeping sound about once every second through the TV speakers. Video is working 100% as is the game audio, it's just that it consistently plays a beeping noise over the top. It sounds like some form of warning sound to me.

Can you use the interface unit without the CD-ROM2 unit? I ask as I'm thinking that maybe the beeping is to alert me of the absent CD unit?

I know the interface unit has a mechanism for storing save data. Does it use a battery to do so? I'm thinking that maybe the beeping is to alert me of a flat battery?

Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

l_oliveira

No it's not that modern. I'd say one of the audio amplifiers are oscillating due to bad capacitors.

Frank_fjs

Thanks for the reply.

That seems to make sense.

Damn, it's not like I can send it back, shipping to Japan is too costly.  :(

Looks like I'll need to find another one then.

Frank_fjs

One thing that doesn't make sense to me, the beeping persists whether I use the AV out from the interface unit or the RF out from the console (with the console connected to the interface unit).

To clarify:

- PC Engine console is plugged into interface unit. Instead of connecting to my TV via the interface units AV out, I connect via the PC Engine console's RF plug. So, the interface unit is simply providing power to the console - the beeping still persists. This does not happen when using the console on its own.

This would suggest to me that it isn't a bad capacitor, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Frank_fjs

Here's a video of what's happening, if it helps any.

PC Engine Interface Unit - Beeping - HELP.avi

Hard to hear due to the quality of the video and the loudness of the beeping, but the game audio is coming through fine, both channels. It's just that it has to compete with the beeping.

Any ideas?

l_oliveira

Actually now that I hear the sound, that beep is made by the big chip on the interface unit. Does it beep if you power it on without the hucard ?

It's software controlled if I'm not mistaken.

Frank_fjs

Quote from: l_oliveira on August 19, 2010, 02:43:37 AMDoes it beep if you power it on without the hucard ?

Yes. As soon as power on the console is switched on, it beeps. Having the interface unit on but power on the console off = no beeps. It beeps with no HuCard inserted as well. I've tried 6 different games & a system card, it just loves to beep.  :(

Frank_fjs

Quote from: l_oliveira on August 19, 2010, 02:43:37 AM
Actually now that I hear the sound, that beep is made by the big chip on the interface unit.

Any ideas on what the beep means?

I hope you are right, as the seller that sold me this interface unit has offered me another one for very cheap after I informed him of my beeping troubles. I have bought it. I also picked up a CD-ROM2 unit so I should be all set.

My only fear now is that there's a small possibility that the fault is with the console, and not the interface unit (perhaps there's a bad connection on the ext connector of the console) - if this is the case than I've just wasted money on a second, unneeded interface unit. Although, I think it's more likely that the fault is with the interface unit. The Tennokoe 2 (which uses the same ext port of the console) works fine with the console. Hopefully this is a good sign.

l_oliveira

My CD-ROM2 unit died a few days ago from crumbling. 
Yes, crumbling...

As one of the gears which move the optical pickup literally turned into dust. D:

Frank_fjs

Now that I have my CD unit, I gave it a whirl.

It seems that whatever circuitry that is inside the interface unit that is responsible for the CD audio is stuffed. The beeping stops when there is sound playing, but the sound is very distorted and garbled. Speech seems to come through fine, but music or anything complex gets garbled. Beeping persists in silent portions of the game.

For the moment I am using the line out from the CD unit to get my audio, which I will do until my replacement interface unit arrives. I miss out on sound effects, from the console, but oh well.

I'm going to order a gamebit screwdriver and see if I can spot anything that's obviously wrong, I might get lucky and only need to replace a few caps to restore audio.

l_oliveira

My CDR-30 drive just died of "crumbled optical pickup motor gear" you have a idea where I can buy another (either drive or gear) ?

Frank_fjs

If you asked me about a week ago I could have helped you out.

I'll keep my eye out for you.

AFAIK no suitable replacement gear has been found. You need to start ripping apart old devices & hopefully find something that's close or make a bastardised one with some super glue and several gears.

There's a few on eBay but they are way overpriced.

There is this one, and although the CD unit is listed as non-working it may be the lens, which means you could salvage the gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PC-ENGINE-WHITE-NEC-JAPAN-HUCARD-ADAPTER-IMPORT-JAPAN-/180555126535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2324wt_1137

Frank_fjs

My replacement interface unit arrived today... it works great! :D I'm so relieved, I finally have a working briefcase setup.

Still have to decide what to do with the old one, the cost of fixing it would be about the same as I could sell it for so I don't really know if it's worth it.

Thanks for all your help and advice.