Just bought a Sony PVM 1910

Started by panzeroceania, December 03, 2009, 05:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzeroceania

ok, so for now I have the Sony PVM 1910, and a Monster VGA to RGBHV BNC cable.

I tried hooking it into my PC at 800x600 and I could tell there was input to the TV but it was just a bunch of lines scrolling madly. I have tried with and without 75 ohms switches on and there is only one sync input on the TV so I have tried both sync cables with no success. Is there anywhere I could find a manual, do you guys have any suggestions? I'd really like to have not bought this for nothing :)

thanks.

EDIT, couldn't go lower than 800x600 on my laptop with windows 7 but realized, duh, it's a tv, it needs 640x480 so hooked it up to another computer

still crazy but I messed with the V Hold and am making progress. I'll try to hook it up to my Dreamcast tomorrow via VGA box and make the rest of the adjustments.

albino_vulpix

Hamburglar

I have a PVM-1910, and can yell you it won't work on standard 31 khz VGA signal... so hooking it up to your DC VGA box will not work either, unless you hook it up to a standard DC RGB cable.

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 03, 2009, 05:07:28 PM
ok, so for now I have the Sony PVM 1910, and a Monster VGA to RGBHV BNC cable.

I tried hooking it into my PC at 800x600 and I could tell there was input to the TV but it was just a bunch of lines scrolling madly. I have tried with and without 75 ohms switches on and there is only one sync input on the TV so I have tried both sync cables with no success. Is there anywhere I could find a manual, do you guys have any suggestions? I'd really like to have not bought this for nothing :)

thanks.

EDIT, couldn't go lower than 800x600 on my laptop with windows 7 but realized, duh, it's a tv, it needs 640x480 so hooked it up to another computer

still crazy but I messed with the V Hold and am making progress. I'll try to hook it up to my Dreamcast tomorrow via VGA box and make the rest of the adjustments.

MANUAL: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PVM1910.PDF

Yeah, this monitor doesn't accept 24kHz signals or above... but I suppose you could keep fiddling around until you get frustrated that VGA doesn't work.... ;)  Are you the person that also connects V Sync to the Composite sync output?  I never cease to be amazed by the things I see on this site.... "but it works" they say!

panzeroceania

I wouldn't ever intentionally connect V sync to H/C sync, but have before to tell the two apart (they didn't come labelled and I didn't know the color conventions) speaking of which is H sync regularly a black or a white cable?

I was under the impression that this tv was in the 30hz or greater category but I suppose not. I know my ignorance may be annoying/humorous to you guys but I really am trying to learn and get a working setup here.

so what kind of cable do I need to work with old game consoles and this tv. the RGB cables for most systems give out a 21pin "SCART-like" plug correct? and I have BNC connectors so I would need some sort of an adaptor. If it is a lower that 30hz television than it doesn't need a converter box between it and the consoles, it just needs a 21pin RGB cable to BNC connectors adaptor, correct?

is there anything else I need to know, is there anywhere where I could get such items?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 04, 2009, 05:21:42 AM
I wouldn't ever intentionally connect V sync to H/C sync, but have before to tell the two apart (they didn't come labelled and I didn't know the color conventions) speaking of which is H sync regularly a black or a white cable?

I was under the impression that this tv was in the 30hz or greater category but I suppose not. I know my ignorance may be annoying/humorous to you guys but I really am trying to learn and get a working setup here.

so what kind of cable do I need to work with old game consoles and this tv. the RGB cables for most systems give out a 21pin "SCART-like" plug correct? and I have BNC connectors so I would need some sort of an adaptor. If it is a lower that 30hz television than it doesn't need a converter box between it and the consoles, it just needs a 21pin RGB cable to BNC connectors adaptor, correct?

is there anything else I need to know, is there anywhere where I could get such items?

I was refering to how if a source doesn't output composite sync (has separate H and V Syncs), that some have connected the H Sync BNC to the Composite (Ext.) Sync input and the V Sync into the Composite Sync output on the PVM monitors with loop through RGBS on BNCs.

I checked out the manual for your monitor and noticed that the PVM-1910 has both BNC connectors and a DB25M connector for RGB input.  If you can find the parts (female SCART socket), then yes, you could build a SCART adapter (SCARTF to 4 BNCs or SCARTF to DB25F), and connect consoles that way.  Using an adapter, you wouldn't have to modify the cables.  Although, the pinout of 21 pin RGB cables is different between the Japanse 21 pin, and the European, so two different adapters would need to be made depending upon the RGB cables purchased.  However, I've found it very difficult to find a good source of SCART female connectors in the states, so most of my cables have been terminated with different connectors depending upon the desired application.  

The only US distributor I've found is Velleman.  A local electronics shop would special order them for me, but I'd have to buy a bulk quantity...

If you want to crack open a coupler, you can order one off of eBay for cheap (example):
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-Coupler-Joiner-Female-to-Female-F-F-all-21-Pins_W0QQitemZ370291819378QQ
(Though not as "tiddy" as the velleman inline socket)

Aside from building adapters, you could always just buy SCART/JP21 RGB cables and replace the 21pin connector with a DB25F connector...  As far as cables go, check eBay and Play-Asia.

panzeroceania

thanks for the reply, I'll check out Velleman as that sounds like the most attractive option.

I'd prefer to go with the Japanese 21pin as apposed to the SCART if at all possible but I guess I'll go with what I can get.

as for the DB25M connector I saw it but had never seen it used in anything before. I've never preformed cable surgery before but I guess now is as good a time as any if I can find an inexpensive cable to work with.

So just to be clear, the only sources I can use with this tv are --

SMS, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation,

I have no legacy PC, I have no arcade boards and I'll need RGB cables for the above systems.

what about NES (doesn't have RGB does it?) N64, PS2, Gamecube, Wii,

putting a DB25M connector on the end of the cable is the simplest option, but it's far from ideal, as it would mean I'd have to cut open my RGB cables for every single one of these systems.

So the only other alternative is to buy an adaptor through Velleman? Do they even sell female Japanese 21pin connectors?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 04, 2009, 06:34:29 AM
thanks for the reply, I'll check out Velleman as that sounds like the most attractive option.

I'd prefer to go with the Japanese 21pin as apposed to the SCART if at all possible but I guess I'll go with what I can get.

as for the DB25M connector I saw it but had never seen it used in anything before. I've never preformed cable surgery before but I guess now is as good a time as any if I can find an inexpensive cable to work with.

So just to be clear, the only sources I can use with this tv are --

SMS, SNES, Genesis, Saturn,

I have no legacy PC, I have no arcade boards and I'll need RGB cables for the above systems.

putting a DB25M connector on the end of the cable is the simplest option, but it's far from ideal, as it would mean I'd have to cut open my RGB cables for every single one of these systems.

So the only other alternative is to buy an adaptor through Velleman? Do they even sell female Japanese 21pin connectors?

Yeah, changing the SCARTM to a DB25F (mating connector for that input).  Velleman doesn't sell the adapter, just the female 21 pin connector to build an adapter.  Most of the RGB cables sold for consoles are wired for the European SCART standard, not JP21.

The SMS and Genesis 1 use a 262 degree 8 pin din plug, not the common 270 degree 8 pin din plug.  Those two systems also require 75 ohm resistors and 220uF capacitors on the RGB and sync signals.

NTSC SNES systems require 220uF capacitors on the RGB signals.

The Saturn shouldn't need any external parts for your monitor.

Also, different RGB cables may or may not contain the required components for an optimal picture.  Enjoy! :)

panzeroceania

at this point it seems like it would be easier to make an adaptor that just output the R, G, B, and H to BNC cables. I guess I'd still need that female 21pin connector.

the connector is identical between japan and europe right? it's just that the actual output via SCART or the japanese 21pin is different.

what I mean is, if I buy the female connector from Velleman, can I use it with japanese consoles? or am I going to have to find a female 21pin connector elsewhere?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 04, 2009, 06:43:50 AM
at this point it seems like it would be easier to make an adaptor that just output the R, G, B, and H to BNC cables. I guess I'd still need that female 21pin connector.

the connector is identical between japan and europe right? it's just that the actual output via SCART or the japanese 21pin is different.

what I mean is, if I buy the female connector from Velleman, can I use it with japanese consoles? or am I going to have to find a female 21pin connector elsewhere?

Same connector, different pinout (wiring).  A 21pin to DB25F adapter would be easier to construct, but a BNC adapter would have a greater compatibility with other monitors.  However, quite a few Sony PVMs use the DB25 connector (I have a PVM-2030).

SCART:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:scart_connector
JP21:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:japanese_rgb-21

panzeroceania

I guess in my mind I originally envisioned having an XRGB-3 that I would plug all my japanese systems into via Japanese 21-pin and then use my VGA out on the XRGB-3 and use my VGA to RGBHV BNC cable to plug into the TV.

but I'm guessing that the XRGB-3 converts the original signal to a 30hz signal so that the monitor can't use it. fantastic.

I suppose in light of that I should have simply gotten a japanese television that had a japanese 21pin port on the back if it shouldn't I?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 04, 2009, 06:48:46 AM
I guess in my mind I originally envisioned having an XRGB-3 that I would plug all my japanese systems into via Japanese 21-pin and then use my VGA out on the XRGB-3 and use my VGA to RGBHV BNC cable to plug into the TV.

but I'm guessing that the XRGB-3 converts the original signal to a 30hz signal so that the monitor can't use it. fantastic.

I suppose in light of that I should have simply gotten a japanese television that had a japanese 21pin port on the back if it shouldn't I?

The XRGB-3 serves no purpose to your PVM-1910, nor does it provide any benefit to a CRT that accepts 15kHz RGB.  The primary application of a XRGB-3 is converting 15kHz RGB so that it can be connected to the PC or HDMI input of a flat panel HDTV (31kHz for line doubling B1 mode, or a selectable resolution for B0 mode).

With the PVM-1910, all you need is modified RGB cables, or RGB cables with an adapter.

panzeroceania

Ok thanks

so basically, I need to buy that female SCART connector.

Then I need to buy some BNC male connectors, or a DB25F male connector.

Then I need to get some coaxial cables and do what, solder them together by carefully reading which pin goes where on that japanese 21pin pinout that you linked me to?

then plug those RGBH cables for the DB25F cables into the tv.

then in the end just plug my japanese consoles with J21pin into the female SCART and it should all work?

another part that worries me, or that I don't fully understand, is how to make this sturdy. In other words, so I solder the cables onto the connectors, but that seems like a very fragile connection.

How can I "make a cable" or "wrap the wiring" or make some sort of a case for the adaptor so that the wires don't break off of the connectors.

where could I find a DB25F pinout? that's the only thing that makes it more complicated for me. with BNC, I just have to know the J21pin pinout and then just have a straight cable coming out for each BNC cable.

FOr the DB25F I need to know which pin on the J21pin connector to connect to which pin on the DB25F connector.

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 04, 2009, 06:55:58 AM
Ok thanks

so basically, I need to buy that female SCART connector.

Then I need to buy some BNC male connectors, or a DB25F male connector.

Then I need to get some coaxial cables and do what, solder them together by carefully reading which pin goes where on that japanese 21pin pinout that you linked me to?

then plug those RGBH cables for the DB25F cables into the tv.

then in the end just plug my japanese consoles with J21pin into the female SCART and it should all work?

another part that worries me, or that I don't fully understand, is how to make this sturdy. In other words, so I solder the cables onto the connectors, but that seems like a very fragile connection.

How can I "make a cable" or "wrap the wiring" or make some sort of a case for the adaptor so that the wires don't break off of the connectors.

where could I find a DB25F pinout? that's the only thing that makes it more complicated for me. with BNC, I just have to know the J21pin pinout and then just have a straight cable coming out for each BNC cable.

FOr the DB25F I need to know which pin on the J21pin connector to connect to which pin on the DB25F connector.

Here is an example illustration of an adapter (SCART pinout to DB25).  The full pinout for the DB25 is contained in the manual for your PVM (linked above).

panzeroceania

thanks so much, you guys have been another world of help.

I'll let you know how it works out when I get the parts.

Hamburglar

That's a nice monitor, It's my primary standard-res gaming monitor. Wish it had stereo speakers, I use some Roland audio monitors instead of the built in audio.

Here's the breakout box I made for mine.

BTW; yesterday I was trying out my XRGB-2 in standard res mode on this monitor- composite video looks better through the XRGB2 than directly to the monitor, also I noticed my US SNES RGB was "cleaned up" didn't look so blurry.

panzeroceania

I got the 25 pin cable that I'm going to use but I want to get a 21 pin cable too, not just the connector, this will make it easier to splice.

this one looks good

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-SONY-Scart-to-Scart-Audio-Video-10mm-Cable-1m_W0QQitemZ230406376630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a54a4cb6

but it says it's only a 20 pin cable, not 21, would I need that 1 pin?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 07, 2009, 02:08:53 PM
I got the 25 pin cable that I'm going to use but I want to get a 21 pin cable too, not just the connector, this will make it easier to splice.

this one looks good

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-SONY-Scart-to-Scart-Audio-Video-10mm-Cable-1m_W0QQitemZ230406376630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a54a4cb6

but it says it's only a 20 pin cable, not 21, would I need that 1 pin?

Pin 21 is the hood (shield).  There are only 20 "pins" inside the connector.  Besides that is a male to male cable... do you plan to just use a switcher?

panzeroceania

no, I need a female, nevermind, and thank you, I forgot about the shield pin.

so something more like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-SCART-5M-CABLE-EXTENSION-LEAD-MALE-FEMALE_W0QQitemZ280433725654QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item414b2710d6

I plan on cutting the 25 pin cable and the SCART cable in half and then soldering the correct wires together and taping them up with electric tape or something like that.

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on December 08, 2009, 05:27:12 AM
no, I need a female, nevermind, and thank you, I forgot about the shield pin.

so something more like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-SCART-5M-CABLE-EXTENSION-LEAD-MALE-FEMALE_W0QQitemZ280433725654QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item414b2710d6

I plan on cutting the 25 pin cable and the SCART cable in half and then soldering the correct wires together and taping them up with electric tape or something like that.

That other cable would work.  I'd highly recommend using a DB25F connector and hood instead of the DB25 cable.  The DB25 cable has way too many conductors in it and is likely to be used for a printer, not video signals.

I take it that you don't have a soldiering iron since you mentioned splicing with electrical tape?  :-X  :-\  Not to mention trying to figure out which of the 25 conductors in the cable is connected to which pin!

panzeroceania

I didn't think about that about the 25pin cable.

the reason I was using two cables was because I thought the whole thing would be less messy/ stronger. I do have a soldering iron, but couldn't really visualize how I would be able to do it with just the connector end, to find out which wire to connect, I could use a continuity check of sorts where you make a circuit with the pin you want to use, and then test all the wire ends until you find the one that completes the circuit, then solder it, and then tape it up to cover the wires, that's the only reason I would be taping it.

It seems easier to me to cover the wires if they are already in the cable and you can just neatly tape them up there rather than trying to work around the end of the connector.

but I've never opened up the connector head before. Am I missing something? in any case I didn't think about the cable being used for a printer, so I could try to find just the connector head.

where would you recommend finding that, and what kind of wiring would you use if you're not using the wiring from the cable itself (another reason I thought just using the cable would be easier)

viletim

In case it's of interest to anyone: Mouser Electronics is a source of female SCART sockets in the USA. Part numbers are 806-K-SCARTX-028A for the right angle version and 806-K-SCARTX-024 for the straight type.

RGB32E

Quote from: viletim on December 08, 2009, 07:54:42 PM
In case it's of interest to anyone: Mouser Electronics is a source of female SCART sockets in the USA. Part numbers are 806-K-SCARTX-028A for the right angle version and 806-K-SCARTX-024 for the straight type.

The vertical oriented socket would work if you wanted to mount a socket in an enclosure, but probably wouldn't fit in a cable hood...  ???  :-\

ajwwong

I just got a PVM 1910 (as a gift) and want to connect it to my computer for video editing. My computer has free DVI and s-Video outputs (from the EN8400GS Asus video card).

What is the best way to connect my computer to the PVM 1910?

Does this link below help?

http://www.cabletrain.com/switches/hdfury-dvi-to-bnc-rgb-converter-green-edition-bnc-edition.html

Thanks, I'm quite confused, I know. :D

Alc

A 15.6kHz RGB monitor isn't really suited to video editing, since you'll be dealing with interlacing at 480i. It'd be fine as a "test bed" if that's what you're mastering for, but for the editing process itself you'd be much better off finding a CRT VGA monitor. You'll get much higher resolutions without interlacing, and even a good one will be practically free these days, owing to the unpopularity of CRTs since the rise of TFT screens.

ajwwong

Thanks for the words of wisdom! Appreciate it!  ;D

panzeroceania

ok, so I have all the parts that I ordered and am about to solder the DB25 Female connector to the 21 pin SCART Female with a 21 pin japan configuration in mind.

so far I've gathered that

RED: DB15 = pin 6; SCART = pin 15

GREEN: DB15 = pin 5; SCART = pin 19

BLUE: DB15 = pin 4; SCART = pin 20

5V: DB15 = pin 8; SCART = pin 16

Horizontal/Composite Sync: DB15 = pin 3; SCART = pin 9

are these pins alone enough to create a picture when plugging a Sega Saturn official japanese Sega RGB cable into the 21 pin female connector and the DB25 connector end into my Sony TV?

or do I need to connect a few more pins

on the SCART connector I see a lot of ground pins but I didn't see any ground pins on the DB25 connector.

also, the DB25 connector has pins like "Blanking" "Analog/Digital Select" "RGB/Normal Select" "Audio Select" are these important?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on January 07, 2010, 07:23:16 AM
ok, so I have all the parts that I ordered and am about to solder the DB25 Female connector to the 21 pin SCART Female with a 21 pin japan configuration in mind.

so far I've gathered that

RED: DB15 = pin 6; SCART = pin 15

GREEN: DB15 = pin 5; SCART = pin 19

BLUE: DB15 = pin 4; SCART = pin 20

5V: DB15 = pin 8; SCART = pin 16

Horizontal/Composite Sync: DB15 = pin 3; SCART = pin 9

are these pins alone enough to create a picture when plugging a Sega Saturn official japanese Sega RGB cable into the 21 pin female connector and the DB25 connector end into my Sony TV?

or do I need to connect a few more pins

on the SCART connector I see a lot of ground pins but I didn't see any ground pins on the DB25 connector.

also, the DB25 connector has pins like "Blanking" "Analog/Digital Select" "RGB/Normal Select" "Audio Select" are these important?

:o  :o  :o DO NOT CONNECT SCART PIN 16 to DB25 pin 8!!!   :o  :o  :o Pins 7 and 8 are for powering devices external to the PVM, not the other way around!!!  

You will need to connect ground from the saturn to pins 15-24 - any one of those pins is connected to ground, so you only have to connect ground to one of them.

Grounding PVM pin 2 is only if you want to use the audio input jack on one of the other inputs on the monitor (non-cmptr input).

The PVM-1910 only accepts mono audio, so unless you're planning to route stereo audio to a different device, the audio select isn't necessary and you can connect both left and right audio to pin 13 on the PVM.

panzeroceania

thanks, this is why I posted here. Also, for this experiment, I'm not going to worry about the audio for now, I'll get to that later.

so basically if I understand correctly

connect red, green, blue, and sync, and then connect SCART pin 16 to any of DB25 pins 15-24? (but only one of them)

right? it should be good?

what about red ground, green ground, blue ground, etc, from the SCART, do I need to worry about those or not?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on January 07, 2010, 09:47:02 AM
thanks, this is why I posted here. Also, for this experiment, I'm not going to worry about the audio for now, I'll get to that later.

so basically if I understand correctly

connect red, green, blue, and sync, and then connect SCART pin 16 to any of DB25 pins 15-24? (but only one of them)

right? it should be good?

what about red ground, green ground, blue ground, etc, from the SCART, do I need to worry about those or not?

Different scart cables may or may not connect ground to any of the designated ground pins.  So, to ensure that you have a ground connection, connect a number of the scart ground pins to any number of the DB25 ground pins.  You can use any pin(s) 15-24 you'd like, and don't have to pick a particular pin, it's just that there are 10 different pins to use that connect to the same ground.

panzeroceania

so I got so close to doing this project and then got caught up in college and never picked up the soldering iron. So now I am, and I have a few more questions.

can I use pin 11, which I believe is +5v, from the video game system to the PVM 1910's 25 connector pin 12 for blanking?

also, what could I plug Jap 21 pin 16 into in my 25 pin connector on my tv. I see on some of my game 21pin RGB cables that pin 16 is used but I wouldn't know what to connect it to on my tv's side. What would it be for?

from what I just read on wikipedia my 5v and 1v pins are used for blanking which indicates the aspect ratio, and whether I'm transmitting composite or RGB.

the problem is there is only one blanking pin (that I know of) on the 25 pin connector on my TV, so is that why I am supposed to connect my 1V pin to my 5vpin? so that I can connect both to the TV's blanking pin?

EDIT:

so I got everything working and it just looks and sounds fantastic. I want to thank you all so much. I see that I didn't need to connect any pin for blanking or jap21 pin 16, still curious about what they are for but ultimately everything is working perfectly so that's what is important