NTSC US SNES mod how to?

Started by YoungGun64, February 23, 2011, 07:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGun64

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but I've been looking around on this site and the internet for a how to or guide on how to mod the original US snes to play pal carts. I have found guides for the snes2, or snes junior whatever you want to call it. My console doesn't have the separate sound box or whatever it would be called. I dont know if that is significant in the modding or not I just thought I'd be explicit in my details. I'm looking to put in a 50/60 hz switch and I've heard you can do something with the lockout switch so you can still play titles like Mario RPG and others that I can't think of at this time. So if anyone could post a link to a how to or tell me whether or not the mod used on an snes2 will work thanks.

~YoungGun64~
~YoungGun64~

micro

Once upon a time there was a homepage called gamesx.com  ;D
http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snes5060.htm
http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm

Years ago I did both mods on my US SNES1 (same version as yours, without seperate sound APU). Of course I also installed a switch for the lockout chip. Worked and still works fine with all US/JAP/PAL games.
Another guide is there: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-switches-1.htm

So the mod is the same for all SNES versions as long as there are two PPU's on the PCB. If you got a SNES with the combined 1-chip PPU, the 50/60Hz mod doesn't work. Well, apparently it IS possible but the mod is more complicated.

YoungGun64

Thanks a lot micro! I had seen those mods before i just didnt know they could work on my model. Also will mario RPG still work or will i have to try and find an early model because there is one for sale at my local pawn shop that I'm looking into buying. Thanks again

~YoungGun64~
~YoungGun64~

YoungGun64

Ignore my question about marioRPG you already answered that :P haha sorry. But thanks again for the info.
~YoungGun64~

micro

No problem  :) If you set the 50/60Hz on 60Hz and enable the lockout chip, your US SNES will be the same as before the mod.

YoungGun64

Thanks for the help. Anther question, are there downsides to this mod (that is if done correctly) and if so what are they. Also do you have any tips when doing it. And lastly would you recommend this mod for a beginner at soldering. I've watched a detail tutorial on soldering and I'm about to start a smaller project that is a very easy one for practice. Do you think this is enough practice to do this mod Thanks again  ;D

Also where would you put the switches so they are the least noticeable

~YoungGun64~

YoungGun64

No replies? I don't mean to be a bother I just am kinda anxious to get it started as a first time modder. Thanks again guys.
~YoungGun64~

micro

For a complate beginner the SNES mod may be too difficult. Lifting the pins can be a delicate matter. If you bend the pins too much, they break. You may accidentally bridge some pins if the tip of your soldering iron is too big or you're using too much solder. So I would practice lifting pins on a junk PCB.
Also, before opening the SNES make sure to leave the power switch to "ON" to discharge the capacitators inside.

I don't know in which position the switches are the least noticeable, probably on the back side ;)

YoungGun64

Alright thanks I'll practice up then try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.
~YoungGun64~