Need help gett SCSI bootable

Started by SteveP25, May 06, 2010, 05:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveP25

I am having some troubles getting my X68000 pro bootable via SCSI.   I can format it properly and access the drive (A SCSI to PCMCIA adapter with 1GB compact flash) I have tried Format.x and Sxsi to format and make bootable.  It does try to boot but it hangs at a blank screen.  I also tried formatting a 2GB SCSI (2 1GB partitions) but after rebooting it doesnt let me access the drive.  After installing the Sxsi boot loader it shows the 2gb drive it states the drive as "so low SCSI level"

I also messed up my only boot disk from trying to copy a config.sys file from the compact flash (I made a disk image of the CF and started copying stuff onto the drive SXSI, and 2HDBOOT) Is there a way to bypass the commands that are giving my errors.  The error gives be a # prompt.

SteveP25

Yay fixed the boot disk,  I am lucky that I had some boxed x68k games and that one of them had a CRC error that when aborted got me to the command prompt then I my boot disk.

eidis

Hi !

Please note that when you format the disk with SxSI scsiformat.x the program only copies human.sys to the hard disk. This file is sacred and can not be touched. If it's location suddenly changes, the computer can become unstable or not boot from HDD at all. The command.x needs to be manually copied to HDD and is essential for it to be able to boot. Also please check that SCSI termination and parity is enabled on your adapter.

P.S. you can tell the computer to boot directly from floppy disk avoiding the hard drive by pressing OPT.1 key right after reset. After booting from floppy you can run switch.x and set boot sequence to STD. This will ensure that the computer will always try to boot from floppy drive first.

P.P.S. Avoid making partition larger than 1GB because the OS is unable to access it without special drivers. 1GB should be enough for everyone.

P.P.P.S Disable DMA on your adapter because it causes data corruption.

Alternatively you can try to restore my hard disk image to physical disk. Get it here:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:sxsi_disk_image_with_games_and_lots_of_mdx_files

This will spare you some of the pain and frustration I went through. The disk image was created with Active @Disk Image v4.0.4

Please let me know if it worked for you.

Once again I read through your post and think that all you need to get the 1GB CF to boot is to copy command.x to the root of your CF drive.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

SteveP25

I reimaged the drive with the image you gave.  Works great Thanks

eidis

I'm glad it worked for you !  The  # prompt sounds like the command.x is missing. Let's go step by step how I would have formatted the drive.

boot from floppy
cd sxsi
scsiformat.x
select SCSI ID
(if the disk has never been attached at this point it is necessary to press Y two times)
2 (create a partition)
a (allocate all available free space or enter the size in MB)
at this point enter what it advises you to. it was 32 or 31. Don't remember it by heart
y (transfer system file Human.Sys)
a (transfer from A drive)

4 (set bootflags)
1 (partition 1)
0 (make partition bootable)

reboot the computer

copy a:\command.x c:\command.x

reboot

If you have a SASI machine, install SxSI driver in SRAM. Instructions for doing it are here:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

P.S. Please let me know if you have SASI or SCSI machine.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Midori

Which SCSI to PCMIA are you using SteveP25? I have tested none but am interested in doing so(one day...) and it would be nice to know an adapter that has worked for someone else :-)