News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

TG16 RGB

Started by benzaldehyde, September 24, 2003, 11:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benzaldehyde

Hi all,

I am noticing something about my TG16 RGB mod. Using the signals tapped from the CD bus and Waltarzar's RGB amp, I am getting a bright, clear picture, but there is a presence of vertical lines over the picture. They are slightly brighter than the rest of the picture and most notable on cool-colored backgrounds. I fear these may be similar to the dreaded NES-2 video lines that I remembered reading so much about. In such a case, the graphics chip would be to blame and there would be nothing I can do. It still beats the hell out of RF output. However, it might not be irreparable, so I'm asking if anyone has experienced such a problem and, if possible, how he fixed it. Perhaps I should take the signals directly off of the graphics chip? Thanks for any help!

NFG

The TG outputs super-clear RGB, what you're seeing is more likely the result of interference or bad soldering in the video circuit.  

benzaldehyde

Thanks. Just so long as nothing in the TG16 is damaged. I didn't go anywhere near the video chip... I wonder if the LM1881 could be bad. I rather harshly pulled it from another older circuit. Perhaps I should dig out a new one? (Thank God for sockets!) I will experiment more, but any further advice would be appreciated. The circuit is housed in an aluminum, grounded enclosure outside of the TG16, so I doubt it could be interference. Sloppy soldering is a big "probably" though...  :(

Endymion

Well since you're using the CD expansion why not keep it simple? Try alligator clips or something less permanent than a solder while you try to figure out where your fritz is coming from.

benzaldehyde

That's what I meant by experimenting more. ;) Alligator clips are a bit large though. I usually just wind some wire around a small screwdriver. The wound wire is just the right size for those pins. I'm only hoping this can be repaired. AirZonk is so great in RGB!

benzaldehyde

I have discovered that in my case, the vertical lines are a part of the TG16 system. Testing with both the CD bus unamplified RGBS and from the chip directly, I found that the picture had the lines but their presence was drastically reduced. I wonder if perhaps no one else sees them because I have improperly amplified the RGB signals. I don't know much about amplification lines. Could anyone tell me how I could lower the power on Waltarzar's amp? It was designed for the N64, but the N64's native picture is far more dim than the TG16's w/o amplification. Thus, I fear I am probably overamplifying the RGB,  and so am seeing parts of the picture that could not normally be viewed. In any case, this will all be good practice should I ever run across that Turbo Duo I've been lusting after...  :lol: I'd be lost without you guys. Thanks!  :)