how to add VGA to saturn? (and nintendo systens)

Started by Padoca85, March 19, 2010, 03:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padoca85

Hi, i just found out this wonderful forum,  but im kind lost with so much information XD
im dont have much knowledge in video types,signals and stuff.
My Satrun only came with a Rf box, which i already added AV outputs (mono unfortunaly),  so i figure out could be cool add  a VGA port to my saturn
This is a thing i want to do for years for my older systens and just found out how but heres the problem

I saw the pinout for the saturn but dont know what i should wire to the VGA cable.  Please correct me its wrong how i think it goes

Saturn          VGA
RGB----------- RGB
grnds----------grnds
sync-----------vertical and horizontal sync?

Any more things i should wire up, like croma and luma, or just these ones do the job?

Sorry for the noob question but i really know nothing about video signals and how they work XD

NFG

The Saturn will not output VGA signals, so unless you're using a 15kHz-capable monitor that happens to have a VGA connector, you're wasting your time.  If it DOES do 15kHz, then your wiring diagram is correct.

Padoca85

Quote from: Lawrence on March 19, 2010, 03:45:38 PM
The Saturn will not output VGA signals, so unless you're using a 15kHz-capable monitor that happens to have a VGA connector, you're wasting your time.  If it DOES do 15kHz, then your wiring diagram is correct.

this have anything to do with the scale? because my tv/monitor wont show anything down my gamecube from the video or svideo input. If it does, theres a ways i can upscale the signal to get it working?

Padoca85

any help? im still very confused
can i at least use the rgb an plug in the component input of my tv? (but i really was after the VGA)

Endymion

You can't do that either, component uses Y-Pb-Pr, which is not RGB. If you really want VGA from the Saturn then you want an upscaler. Look at the XRGB line. I know they aren't cheap, but it's the going rate for what you want to do. If you are satisfied with the quality of an s-video signal then you might try to get your TV fixed, or use another TV, which (yeah) can be more than an XRGB, but there you go.

Alternatively, and possibly on the crappier looking side of things, you could get a transcoder. This uses RGB from the Saturn and turns it into Y-Pb-Pr, but depending on how your TV works with it, and the quality of the unit itself, you might not be very happy with the potentially blocky results, which could look worse than S-video on some screens. Transcoders can cost anywhere from $100 on down and vary in quality.

Padoca85

hm... i beginning to understand now, so this upcalers, like the XRGB line you mention, can take rgb and output vga as well?

RGB32E

Quote from: Padoca85 on May 12, 2010, 06:53:00 PM
hm... i beginning to understand now, so this upcalers, like the XRGB line you mention, can take rgb and output vga as well?

Fudoh's reading material for you (video processor primer of sorts):
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/