Shopping for a 15 kHz RGB display

Started by zedrein, April 18, 2010, 05:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

Well my Commodore 1084 monitor finally died for good, so I am out of a decent display for a while. I went shopping yesterday at all of the local thrift shops but I quickly realized there existed no easy way to identify a display that was capable of 15 kHz RGB input. Can you veterans guide me in how to locate one of these things amidst all the other VGA drones that are in abundance?

Midori

How did the 1084 die?

Did anything burn or so in it?

If you can handle a soldering iron you should try replacing all the capacitors in the monitor, that can do wonders and usually ain't a too expensive operation. Since finding good monitors can be a bothersome thing one should take care of those that you have :-)

zedrein

Yes, I have heard of this capacitor replacement operation. The only worrisome thing is that I would have to violently hit the left side of the display to get it to work most of the time, maybe this is a clue.

Midori

Hmm, perhaps cold solder joints... Or something not that isn't connected properly... Or something so kick-ass hard to fix that prayers to the sky is the only way to salvation :-)

If you yourself or any friend of yours ain't somewhat skilled in circuts though that is probably nothing that helps. Even if things might be easy to fix you still have to be able to spot the problems first :-)

cgm

Quote from: zedrein on April 18, 2010, 05:24:08 AM
Well my Commodore 1084 monitor finally died for good, so I am out of a decent display for a while. I went shopping yesterday at all of the local thrift shops but I quickly realized there existed no easy way to identify a display that was capable of 15 kHz RGB input. Can you veterans guide me in how to locate one of these things amidst all the other VGA drones that are in abundance?

Check the wiki: http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:combo

For other monitors, anything that supports "multimode" digital/analog RGB operation usually does 15.75khz since CGA video uses that scanrate. The NEC Multisync II is a good example of this type of monitor. Any monitor that doubles as a TV must do 15.75khz (ex: Toshiba TIMM, Gateway destination displays), these have the perk of being a bit larger then 13 inches. Finally any monitor designed to work with the Apple IIgs, Amiga, Tandy Color Computer 3 and Atari ST is 15.75khz compatible as well.