GameSX.com > Audio Mods

SNES S/PDIF...

(1/7) > >>

zedrein:
I've got a few technical questions about the materials necessary to do this mod properly (found in the wiki)...if that's all right with y'all.

1.) WIRE: What wire gauge/type is going to be most suitable for point to point wiring in this instance? I'd imagine solid conductor and small gauge wire is going to be easier to work with versus the stranded or larger gauge stuff, but will it still maintain that digital signal properly? I don't want to go with the ease-of-use route if it's going to somehow adversely affect the audio transmission/reliability or fidelity.

2.) CONNECTORS: I am leaning towards using a RCA type connector (as opposed to the TOSlink fiber optics connector) because the SNES chassis already has the proper "port" for that connector already in place where the RF out is. I know there is debate out there among audiophiles about which standard will sound better (which is strange because they both transmit digital and not analog information) but I'd like to know if there are some amongst you that think going one way or the other will be better sonically. Also, depending on which standard I go with what is going to be the best brand to purchase for securely mounting the connector to the SNES case? At the local electronics store they have a few nice gold plated connectors, but they look like they'd be difficult to mount flush onto the inside of my console, and my neurosis won't allow me to have electrical components just floating around inside there.

3.) RESOURCES: I am getting pretty used to people telling me "Bro, ____ only costs a few bucks, trust me!" but when I actually get a hold of this stuff it usually ends up costing significantly more. So, if you massively intelligent folks would direct me to your favorite online electronics retailer that has reliable components at reasonable prices, I'd surely appreciate it. At the end of the day I'm still a dude with barely a working knowledge of basic electronics, but I still desire to make these old "retro" consoles that I still love so much better than I remember them, and I need all the practical help that I can get.

As usual, thanks for your time! I hope to get this thing off the ground soon as I will then have a Super NES plugged into a suitable RGB display AND crystal clear audio!

Hojo_Norem:

--- Quote from: zedrein on April 03, 2010, 07:29:55 AM ---I've got a few technical questions about the materials necessary to do this mod properly (found in the wiki)...if that's all right with y'all.

1.) WIRE: What wire gauge/type is going to be most suitable for point to point wiring in this instance? I'd imagine solid conductor and small gauge wire is going to be easier to work with versus the stranded or larger gauge stuff, but will it still maintain that digital signal properly? I don't want to go with the ease-of-use route if it's going to somehow adversely affect the audio transmission/reliability or fidelity.

--- End quote ---

If you imagine the amount of conductor used in the circuit traces on the PCB I dare say you should be ok using that.

--- Quote --- 2.) CONNECTORS: I am leaning towards using a RCA type connector (as opposed to the TOSlink fiber optics connector) because the SNES chassis already has the proper "port" for that connector already in place where the RF out is. I know there is debate out there among audiophiles about which standard will sound better (which is strange because they both transmit digital and not analog information) but I'd like to know if there are some amongst you that think going one way or the other will be better sonically. Also, depending on which standard I go with what is going to be the best brand to purchase for securely mounting the connector to the SNES case? At the local electronics store they have a few nice gold plated connectors, but they look like they'd be difficult to mount flush onto the inside of my console, and my neurosis won't allow me to have electrical components just floating around inside there.

--- End quote ---
Digital is digital is digital.....  The medium might be different but the information is exactly the same.  An optical link is practically immune from EM interference but the cable itself can have problems with tight corners but coaxial is cheaper to setup and if you need to switch between multiple digital sources then any regular half decent AV switcher will do the trick.

--- Quote ---3.) RESOURCES: I am getting pretty used to people telling me "Bro, ____ only costs a few bucks, trust me!" but when I actually get a hold of this stuff it usually ends up costing significantly more. So, if you massively intelligent folks would direct me to your favorite online electronics retailer that has reliable components at reasonable prices, I'd surely appreciate it. At the end of the day I'm still a dude with barely a working knowledge of basic electronics, but I still desire to make these old "retro" consoles that I still love so much better than I remember them, and I need all the practical help that I can get.

--- End quote ---
Thats a hard one to answer.  True that the parts on their own don't cost that much, its the shipping that can put the price up especially if you are ordering just one one part.  I always try to make the order worth the while by ordering other things I may need at the same time (spare soldering iron tips, various connectors, etc) and it's allays a good idea to buy more than you need of any parts you need (not counting the real expensive parts of course).  I can't really recommend a supplier without knowing where you hail from.  Over here in the UK I tend to use a combination of Rapid Electronics for small orders, Farnell for bigger ones (they have a 20 minimum for credit card orders, but thats also their threshhold for Farnell's free shipping) and at a pinch I might try CPC (same company as Farnell but they carry a slightly different inventory) and lastly Maplin if I'm wandering around inside their store.

zedrein:
Thanks for the reply. I asked about wire specifically because I've read that a conductor that doesn't maintain a proper 75 ohm impedance can make for a unreliable signal. But if there is someone here that has had luck with this mod regardless of wire then I suppose there's no real reason to worry. I just want to get this thing done properly.

zedrein:
Ugh, got the mod done and found out my damn receiver won't accept the extremely weird 32 kHz sampling rate. I know that I'm potentially asking too much on this one, but...can someone drop me some actual digital recordings from a SPDIF modded SNES? I figure there are loads of digital audio interfaces out there that have proper inputs for recording from a number of digital sources including the SPDIF format, and I'd sure love to hear how great the files would sound from a real life SNES...can you make a young boys' wish come true?

Hojo_Norem:

--- Quote from: zedrein on May 12, 2010, 01:17:53 PM ---Ugh, got the mod done and found out my damn receiver won't accept the extremely weird 32 kHz sampling rate. I know that I'm potentially asking too much on this one, but...can someone drop me some actual digital recordings from a SPDIF modded SNES? I figure there are loads of digital audio interfaces out there that have proper inputs for recording from a number of digital sources including the SPDIF format, and I'd sure love to hear how great the files would sound from a real life SNES...can you make a young boys' wish come true?

--- End quote ---

Shame about you receiver not liking the SNES's slightly-not-32Kz signal.  I do have a couple of short recordings I made for another thread on the board.  I made them by hooking the SNES's digital audio into my soundcard's CD digital audio input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version