Neobitz-S On the Genesis. Has anyone been able to make it work?

Started by Rade, January 09, 2008, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rade

I've also posted this at the ng.com forums, but I will give it a go here.  I've used the gamesx Genesis AV pinout to find the RGB pins and I've built an external box that plugs into the genesis/32x/Genesis 2 with a 9 pin din.  Problem is, the picture is not right.  Ive checked all the soldering , and it's good.  All the right connections are made, but I'm just wondering if there is anything else that must be done.

thanks!

kendrick

What kind of screen are you using, and how does it handle the sync signal? Does it accept sync on its own line, or does it require sync to be integrated with green? And have you amplified the color lines in the usual ways?

Rade

I am using it on a regular sony CRT.   I just hooked up everything straight up.  Sync to Sync, Green to Green, etc.   The sync seems to be having some trouble, but the image is a jittery on the left hand side (you can see a small darkened bar).

viletim

The timing on the Mega Drive/Genesis' video sync is a bit off spec. It causes a few problems, for example you can't encode the RGB video directly with the Analog Devices video encoders (AD72x).

Probably best to ask whoever sold you this Neobitz thing...

Rade

I did some searching on the AD chip on this forum and it turns out that the idea of using this on a genesis is a no go, and I'm better off using a regular neobitz or a J-Rok

blackevilweredragon

I can guarantee the Component Video from the JROK on a Genesis works...

Can't say the same for S-video out though..  It "should" work.

Rade

I have a component  compatible television, but I would like to use Svid for convenience's sake.  Can anyone with a Svid/Component Jrok confirm if the Svid works?

Sensato

I just bought a Neobitz RGB to YUV converter with a sync cleaner circuit. Hooked it up to an AES and it works fine. I'd be interested in connecting the Neobitz to other systems but I'm afraid to damage the converter.

On the Genesis PCB for instance, where I should take the RGB signal from?  Before the CXA1145? After the CXA1145? At the AV connector? If I have to take it from the AV connector,  do I need to build an RGB amp, connect resistor(s) or cap(s) between the Genesis and the converter?

I thought about dusting off my oscilloscope and checking the peak to peak voltage of the RGB signal which comes from the Neo Geo and goes to the converter. Then check for a spot on the Genny which would have the same voltage. Does this sound ok? I might try this tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sensato

Ok, after a bit of reading about the hooking the Neobitz component encoder to arcade PCBs, I came to understand that the Neobitz pcb would work with the Genesis RGB mod (75 Ohms resistor + 220 uF capacitor for the CXA1645 or RGB amp for the CXA1145) . Tested this and it works great!