PS3 sound static issues.

Started by Chuplayer, July 30, 2008, 12:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuplayer

Since I started playing Stranglehold (collector's edition, if it matters), I've been getting this strange static noise. I think loud noises trigger it, but I'm not entirely sure. I think it's also possible to play until it goes away, but I have only cared to grin and bear it to see that happen once.

I'm using Mad Catz/Gamestop component cables on my TV's stock speakers. First mistake? Maybe, but the cables haven't been giving me problems with other games. I played through Time Crisis 4 last night. That game has an equal amount of loud gunfire and stuff blowing up, and I didn't get any static with that game. I also tried swapping cables while the system was still on and giving me static issues. Even after I swap to the stock composite cables, the static stays. So, it seems like it's the PS3's fault.

I have found one person on another forum who thinks this may be a firmware issue. Battlefield Bad Company gives him the same problems after he installed the latest firmware. I have experienced no audio static in the past, and neither has he. I have also researched old forum posts on google, and I found a significant amount of people who had a similar problem. Some of them chalked it up to the ground loop issue (which I have already taken care of), and others consider it bad audio encoding. The audio is taken to the distorted range at the source, and that's why it's breaking up.

I'm using a 60gig console, and its warranty is going to run out very soon, so if anybody has any input, please don't hesitate to post! I'm going to take my PS3 to a different TV on Thursday and use the stock composite cables and see what happens when I play Stranglehold. At least that way I'll be able to rule out the PS3.

l_oliveira

Man ... The PS3 use the same concept as modern computers (that of having a OS layer which handles the hardware/drivers for the software) and when you update the firmware you're actually updating the OS...

I've noticed plenty of minor behavior changes on the PS3 through multiple system updates. It really depends on the "Drivers"

If you are having game specific issues it's really extremely likely it's a software issue with the "OS"

I suggest you to report it to Sony and wait for the next update :)

Endymion

Turn your sound all the way up while you are not playing a game. (This way you won't blow out your speakers.) From there, listen and see if you hear any buzzing noise at all, possibly faint. This will help you rule out a ground loop, which is the first thing you should look for here. If you hear a buzzing noise, make sure the PS3 and your audio amplifier, TV, or whatever is tied in to your speakers are plugged up to the same power mains; if the issue is due to a ground loop that should solve it.

Chuplayer

Finally got the PS3 to a different TV.

I think it's the poorly programmed game doing something to the PS3 that in turn affects my iffy speakers which have the one in a million chance of being connected to the PS3 that affects them in this way in a way that you need to shut down the PS3 to make the effect go away. I heard some strange pops with the other TV's speakers, but I didn't get any static or anything. I also tried Time Crisis 4 on the problematic TV. That game has similar amounts of stuff blowing up, and I didn't get the slightest semblance of static. I think it's Stranglehold and my speakers that are at fault. Give Stranglehold a different set of speakers, and everything's peachy.

I won't go into why I think my speakers are iffy. It's black magic, and I don't understand it myself.

Chuplayer

Update: I believe it's Stranglehold's fault. I played it some more earlier, and at one point the sound just straight up cut out. Died. Silence. I then entered the in game XMB to quit the game. While the game was quitting, the system beeped a few times and then reset itself. It didn't go back to the dashboard like normal. It reset itself. It did something to the system that the system didn't like.

What a headache. I'm going to get rid of that sonbitch this weekend, pick up Resistance on the cheap, and make sure that game with its big explosions and gunfire and stuff doesn't cause the same problems. Time Crisis 4 didn't, MGS4 a couple of months ago didn't, and I doubt Resistance will.

l_oliveira

While playing the troublesome game, set the PS3 output as PCM and disable Dolby Digital in the game menu.
That will make your home theater output 2.0 audio but there will be 0% chance of encoding problems as the audio will be already raw data.

Chuplayer

Quote from: l_oliveira on August 14, 2008, 07:13:54 AM
While playing the troublesome game, set the PS3 output as PCM and disable Dolby Digital in the game menu.
That will make your home theater output 2.0 audio but there will be 0% chance of encoding problems as the audio will be already raw data.

Do you get those options if you're using the old RCA jacks on normal built-in TV speakers?

l_oliveira

sorry for the late answer ...
If you set up the PS3 digital output for anything different from it's default the analog outputs will be muted.

Chuplayer

It wasn't muted. It was static.

I haven't had the problem since getting rid of Stranglehold. I'm confident my PS3 is okay. That game was just made poorly, or something.

Chuplayer

Just a little update, the console continues to be static-free after getting rid of Stranglehold. No problems whatsoever. It looks like that game is certainly made poorly.

Christianono

Hey, i just got the same problem.....i was playing stranglehold on my ps3 and after 30 minutes or something, a strange static sound appeared, that sound is like the one that was on the old Tv's right?...well, the thing is thaht i changed the game for GTA4 and then nothing happened....now i notice that is a poorly shitty game.....

i have a 120gb ps3 slim, if it matters.....and at leats, is not my ps3....i was starting to feel scared..