Fitting components in a SCART hood?

Started by tomwaits, December 31, 2009, 01:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwaits

I just built an SNES SCART RGB cable and have no idea how to fit all the components inside a SCART hood.  I'm using an NEC XM29 and it won't sync from the console's csync pin.  So, I had to build an LM1881 circuit.  The SNES also needs 220uF capacitors on R,G,B.  My soldering skills are limited... I've tried to tighten up my connections the best I can but still don't see how I can fit everything into the SCART hood without mashing.

Anyone have any tips on how to fit everything into the hood?

Thanks.

RGB32E

Quote from: tomwaits on December 31, 2009, 01:10:21 PM
I just built an SNES SCART RGB cable and have no idea how to fit all the components inside a SCART hood.  I'm using an NEC XM29 and it won't sync from the console's csync pin.  So, I had to build an LM1881 circuit.  The SNES also needs 220uF capacitors on R,G,B.  My soldering skills are limited... I've tried to tighten up my connections the best I can but still don't see how I can fit everything into the SCART hood without mashing.

Anyone have any tips on how to fit everything into the hood?

Thanks.

Here's an idea.  Assuming you're using a female scart to 4 BNC or DB15 (VGA) adapter, why not put the LM1881 circuit inside of the adapter?  Any device expecting SCART RGB wouldn't need the LM1881 circuit anyways.   By SCART pinout spec, pin 8 should be wired to +5VDC, so you'd have a source of power to power the LM1881 inside of the female connector hood.

tomwaits

Thanks for the suggestion... unfortunately my supergun/MVS doesn't output cvideo, so I can't just offload the sync separator circuit to the switchbox output side.  I'd need to build a 2nd SCART to 15 pin cable and have one with the LM1881 and one without.  I think I might just  poke a couple holes in the SNES SCART hood to run wires through and tape the LM1881 on the outside of the hood.  A little ugly, but it's the easiest/cheapest solution.  Probably going to need the same for the N64 too?

I knew the XM29 wouldn't sync on cvideo, but why couldn't all consoles just use a common standard for sync???  They all have a designated sync pin on the A/V connctor, but not all the same type.