Found an Xellent030 for XVI, is it worth it?

Started by TheRogue, December 25, 2009, 07:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRogue

Hey guys, I just found an Xellent030 for my XVI, the seller wants 35000 yen. Is it worth it or should I hold out for a different accelerator?
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

papa_november

There's no way to know, as nobody in the English-speaking world owns one.

If you really want to spend the money, I'd say go for it and tell us all about it.

TheRogue

Sounds good to me. I'm going to buy it and see how it is. Maybe if it's really good, I could find someone to clone the board and make a small run of them, because from what I can see it doesn't contain any ASICs, it seems to be all off the shelf parts so maybe it would be worth while to make more.
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

papa_november

I'd make more simple RAM boards loooong before I'd think about cloning an 030 accelerator. We need way more of those than we need accelerators. Cloning even the simplest design requires way more money and way more effort than you could possibly imagine.

The Nereid was put out just recently and cost 350-400 beans a pop, so I imagine an 030 board, made new, would be even worse.