Mega Drive / Genesis 1 or 2?

Started by panzeroceania, September 03, 2009, 07:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzeroceania

I know this isn't talking about any mod in particular but it is related to audio and video quality.

I am planning on buying a Mega Drive / Genesis and need some guidance on what version to get, I am contemplating 4 options.

1. Japanese Model 1
2. US Model 1
3. Japanese Model 2
4. US Model 2

I have read that the Model 1 has better out of the box sound and I am still very new to modding, so I'm reluctant to do it unless I can get a very cheap Model 2.

Is there any difference between the japanese and the US versions of either console?

I have found RGB cables for both models so that is not an issue.

Any advise?

EDIT:

also there is the LaserActive and the JVC wondermega/x'eye

the laseractive is too expensive but the wondermega is feasible. Is there any advantage to getting these? what kind of A/V do they have? model 1 style or model 2?

EDIT 2: I heard that you have to mod a wondermega for RGB, what is involved in this?

EDIT 3: I have heard that the wondermega and x'eye are actually slightly different, I also heard that there is a model 1 and model 2 of the wondermega, can someone clear this up?

kendrick

If you're going for consolidated function, the WonderMega 2/X'eye probably has the best sound. There's no separate wiring link between the Sega CD and Genesis/Megadrive unit to fail or introduce extra distortion. That unit in particular also has distinct RCA-type phono jacks for direct connection to the sound output, rather than having to tap it from the custom DIN connector. It's also worth noting that the Megadrive/Genesis unit 1 has only mono sound coming out of the rear connector and produces stereo only from the headphone jack.

zedrein

Kendrick, besides those direct RCA outputs being convenient, do they actually contribute to the superior sound quality as opposed to the DIN connector or any multi-av connector for that matter?

panzeroceania

I have also heard the wondermega has superior sound in general. To be honest the addition of the mega cd is nice but I will probably use it mostly for cart games. So the only reason I would be getting one of the combo systems is if they provided better audio or video in any way.

EDIT:

here is some interesting info on Mega Drives from a japanese page

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~nishikaw/tokusyuh/0001t/index.htm

Google English Translation

I guess I'd rather go with a mega drive that is compatible with one of the two RGB cables (either a model 1 or model 2) since the wondermega seems to require a mod to use an RGB cable. Is this all true?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on September 03, 2009, 10:18:47 AM
I guess I'd rather go with a mega drive that is compatible with one of the two RGB cables (either a model 1 or model 2) since the wondermega seems to require a mod to use an RGB cable. Is this all true?

No RGB mod is needed for the US JVC X'Eye (US version of WM2).  It has a 9 pin mini din just like the Genesis 2 and the RGB output is good.  I've used RGB cables on the X'Eye, and I did not encounter any issues with the RGBS signals, though it might have the same sync issues (completely correctable) as the Genesis 2.   I've also heard that the JVC units had better sound before, but never bothered to perform a comparison while I was borrowing one several years back.   :-\  ... and I don't recall much of a difference in sound quality...

For me, I'm fine with a Genesis 2 and Sega CD 2...  ;)

panzeroceania

thanks that helps, I won't wonder about it as much any more.

Also is there any difference between the Wondermega and the X'Eye other than the cosmetic appearance (also what is the difference between a model 1 and model 2wondermega/X'Eye)

EDIT:

also disregarding the other systems, is there really no clear choice between plain vanilla mega drive model 1 and 2?

is there any difference between the japanese and american versions?

I guess you suggest Model 2 RGB32E

I am going for a japanese or american model, any preference?

EDIT 2:

How does the Model 1 stereo through the headphone jack compare to stereo out of the rear panel of the model 2. Is there any difference in the video quality when they are both using RGB cables?