Is a Saturn High Vision Mod Possible?

Started by panzeroceania, September 02, 2009, 07:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzeroceania

I came across this old thread from a google search and thought you guys could shed some light on the matter.

http://assemblergames.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-20674.html

NFG

The Saturn does not require a mod to output VGA resolutions, it's enabled by software.  There are no commercial releases that do this, so there's nothing to be gained here.

panzeroceania

that's too bad. I'm surprised no homebrewer or aspiring indie developer has tried yet.

NFG

That thread you linked to has a download demonstrating the feature.

panzeroceania

hmm, I missed that, thank you. So it would funtion fine over an RGB cable?

RGB32E

Quote from: panzeroceania on September 02, 2009, 08:54:22 PM

From the assembler link:
QuoteDr.Wily01-22-2009, 10:34 PM
This is only a proof of concept demo of saturn's progressive scan mode, nothing more.

I tried out the demo and confirm that 480p/VGA output IS possible from the Sega Saturn!  The cable I'm using gets sync from the composite sync pin on the Saturn and NOT the composite video output.  So a regular RGB cable that uses the sync signal works, but I havent confirmed if the composite video pin switches to composite sync when 480p/VGA mode is used.  If your monitor doesn't support composite sync, you won't get a picture (FYI).  I actually had the VGA signal from the saturn running through my FC-14, so I was looking at 480p via component on my HDTV!! LOL!

However, just like Lawrence stated, no officially released games use the feature, so it's only fun for the sake of experimentation.  :-\

panzeroceania

Maybe if I ever have a firm understanding of how game data works on the Saturn I can do my own rom hacking project (no one hold your breath I am currently only familiar with the basics of the Master System!)

Darklegion

Quote from: RGB32E on September 03, 2009, 02:16:59 AM
Quote from: panzeroceania on September 02, 2009, 08:54:22 PM

From the assembler link:
QuoteDr.Wily01-22-2009, 10:34 PM
This is only a proof of concept demo of saturn's progressive scan mode, nothing more.

I tried out the demo and confirm that 480p/VGA output IS possible from the Sega Saturn!  The cable I'm using gets sync from the composite sync pin on the Saturn and NOT the composite video output.  So a regular RGB cable that uses the sync signal works, but I havent confirmed if the composite video pin switches to composite sync when 480p/VGA mode is used.  If your monitor doesn't support composite sync, you won't get a picture (FYI).  I actually had the VGA signal from the saturn running through my FC-14, so I was looking at 480p via component on my HDTV!! LOL!

However, just like Lawrence stated, no officially released games use the feature, so it's only fun for the sake of experimentation.  :-\

It might be possible to patch the games themselves with this vga mode, either through a modchip, a bootdisc, or patching a backed up ISO.There have been various methods that do this with the PS2, even with modes that were never used in commercial games.
Doesn't mean there will be a way to do this with the saturn, however, but it's a possibility.

NFG

The PS2 hardware is considerably more advanced than the Saturn.  The PS2 has many more modes than the Saturn, and probably has fewer hardware constraints as well.  I'd be stunned if you could intercept the video chip's communications like this in a Saturn.

Put another way, I'm guessing that the Saturn's main game code is more responsible for creating the output bitmap than the PS2, which has a separately controlled mechanism for rendering what the game creates.

RGB32E

The name of the person who created the graphic mode that runs in VGA mode is named Charles MacDonald...  Perhaps he has some insight into making a VGA Xploder for the Sega Saturn!  :P

I "think" this is the programmer's site:
http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/index.php

This txt describes in detail the VGA and Hi-Vision modes:
http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/sat/sattech.txt

NFG

I hang out with him all the time.  I'll get the answers we seek.

NFG

OK, talked to Mr. MacDonald, and he confirmed what I said:

I asked:  I suggested that the video hardware was not like the PS2, and it'd be unlikely that you could force VGA modes without the entire program basically drawing a high-res screen.  Unlike the PS2, where the video hardware could scale or render the output independently.

The answer:

QuoteYou are correct. VGA mode puts a ton of restrictions on the system and the games would have to do a lot of significantly different things to compensate.   Way more than a boot disc or PAR code set could ever cover.