Preventing signal loss

Started by zedrein, August 06, 2009, 01:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedrein

I was taking a gander at my newly created SNES RGB cable and noticed that my stereo audio lines aren't nearly long enough to reach a audio receiver unless I added extensions (quality inhibiting) or bought one of those analog to digital audio converters (too much $ and I don't have a receiver with digital audio input) So I was wondering if a feasible option would be to simply remove more of the black pvc coat that is common with all av cables? I know I technically could do this, but I'd be worried for two reasons: 1.) All those puny looking little lines strewn about look like they would be susceptible to more electronic interference than if they were to have another coat around them 2.) The cable would not be aesthetically pleasing at all. Granted it will spend most of its time behind my display, I still like my cables to look, feel, and mostly perform at a high quality.

If you all give me insight on this matter, I would appreciate it.

RGB32E

What is your RGB cable based off of?  Is it a modified scart cable?  If so, I do not recommend adding additional audio wiring from what would be the scart end.

How about a picture of the SNES RGB cable in question?

zedrein

The RGB cable is just a SCART one I bought off of ebay. I am not asking if it's ok to splice wires together, I know signal would be degraded in that case, I just would like to know if removing more of that black outer pvc jacket will make those diminutive wires more susceptible to signal interference. Unfortunately I do not have a camera to upload pictures, instead I will provide you with a crude schematic!

albino_vulpix

If there's no shield under the PVC outer layer, there will be zero difference in the signal output. If there is, there will be next to zero difference in the signal output.

RGB32E

Quote from: zedrein on August 06, 2009, 10:19:15 AM
The RGB cable is just a SCART one I bought off of ebay. I am not asking if it's ok to splice wires together, I know signal would be degraded in that case, I just would like to know if removing more of that black outer pvc jacket will make those diminutive wires more susceptible to signal interference. Unfortunately I do not have a camera to upload pictures, instead I will provide you with a crude schematic!

What are you using the SCART cable to connect to?  If it's a SCART input on a TV, why not just run the audio from the TV audio output?  Or are you custom terminating the cable for a particular monitor?

zedrein

^Yes, I am using this cable to connect to a Commodore 1084 monitor (DIN 6 connector) So I have to have the separate audio outs with RCA connectors.

RGB32E

Are you using a PAL or NTSC system?

zedrein