News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Sega 32X / Mega-CD

Started by codemonkey1980, July 23, 2009, 05:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codemonkey1980

I'm currently modding my PAL MD1 with the standard region/speed switches etc and have decided to paint it once complete...Now I also want to add a PAL MegaCD and PAL 32X in the future with the intention of playing JAP region games...There are just a few quick questions I have before I can plan out the mods..

1. As I want to paint the MD, I will also want to match up the MCD/32X and paint them as well. Therefore are the internal components / PCB etc easily removed from the casings of both to achieve this? This is quite important, as if I am going to spray all 3 units, in the event of harware failure I want to be able to just remove the dead internals and replace with backups.

2. I have read that while not explicitly region locked, the 32X has internal jumpers to set to PAL/NTSC..As I want to play JAP games does anyone have a link to a diagram etc to add a switch for this / jumper location etc?

3. To make the MCD multi-region, I'm leaning towards the MegaCart Vs MultiBios mod as it's more versatile, and in the event of hardware failure, you're not looking at a transplant operation, and can just swap out units (or the components if it's possible to paint!)..I am interested in obtaining the mutlibios chip if possible, but cannot seem to find anywhere that sells them...Are they still available to buy?

4. With the full 'battleship' setup, I'll be able to play the hanful of MCD 32X titles that came out (yes I know they're awful, but I have a soft spot for Night Trap!), and as I don't think they released any of these in JAP, I will then be looking for the US versions instead...Although by using the switch mods, I would be able to set my PAL MD/32X to run US NTSC games, if using a MegaCart inserted into the 32X to set the region to US, would a CD32X game run using this setup? And if not, would using the multibios mod overcome this issue?

Any answers will be most apprieciated!

kendrick

I'd like to advise you just on the painting issue. If you can handle the extra labor that's involved, I would suggest that you use vinyl dye instead of any sort of paint. Vinyl dye is traditionally used to make car interior parts match (and so is usually found in auto parts stores instead of hardware stores.) It's got acetone in it, which is what allows the pigment to penetrate the plastic instead of sitting in a thick layer on top of it.

The reason this is important is because with a thick layer of dried ick on top of every surface, the individual hardware pieces might not fit together as well. The tolerances are already pretty tight, and it wouldn't take more than half a millimeter for things to start scraping together. Hope that info is useful to you.

codemonkey1980

Thanks for the tip!

I've already bought Plasti-Kote spray paints as they seem to be the best alternative to Krylon for the UK...The plan is to use their plastic primer and then I'm using two metallic finish colours, and finally a sealer specifically for the metallics...I know what you're saying about multiple layers of paint interfering with the connections, but I think it should all be alright fingers crossed! Lol, I certainly won't go overboard with the number of coats however after your advice ;)

codemonkey1980

Please disregard Q2 as I have come across the mod for 32X...As for my initial Q, it seems like the 32X will also be a simpe task in removing the PCB etc...I am still curious about the MCD though, hmmmmm...

I have also read about the MegaCart working while inserted into a 32X, though I still cant find any info relating to that and running CD32X games...At the end of the day however, I only want the MCD to be multiregion so would like to use the multibios if possible  to stay in the theme of the overall mod...You think I can find any info on this though? The site that was the place to go and ask for the chip doesn't seem to have been updated since 2005 and searching google, forums etc, comes up with no leads...I noticed console passion here in the UK do the multibios mod, obviously however they are burning their own chips, and that seems mmonkey's suggestion as well, yet I don't have the tools to do this meh...I suppose I could always ask console passion for the chip instead of the service...

And just one final thing...while the 'real' modders here will probably hate the thought of using the MegaCart, does the MultiBios actually match it in terms of compatibility? (the makers of MC claim 100%!)...Again the running of 32X CD games could be a factor here?