Sony PVM-2530

Started by Jibbajaba, May 18, 2009, 02:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibbajaba

Hi,

I just picked up a Sony PVM-2530 yesterday.  It's an awesome monitor, but it is suffering from a little bit of picture distortion and I think the brightness needs to be internally adjusted a little bit.  All four corners are bending inward a little bit, which I think is referred to as "pincushion".  Anyway, I can't seem to find a service manual online for the monitor.  I understand that the main PCB in the TV has a bunch of adjustment pots on it, but are they labeled?  I also noticed a few labeled holes in the back that seem to be able to be adjusted with some sort of special tool.  They are "R Bkg", "B bkg" and "Sub BRT".  I think the first two are for red and blue bias, but not sure what sub brt is.

Anyway, if anyone can either link me to a manual that covers this stuff, or help me out a little bit I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chris

Jibbajaba

Update:

Last night I turned on the monitor and immediately saw a flash of light through the top vents and heard a pop.  Now the monitor won't come on.  When I turn it on, I just hear a "click" and then nothing.  I opened it up, and it was EXTREMELY dusty in there.  Like there is a layer of dust on everything.  What are some possibilities as to what went wrong?  Was this probably catastrophic damage, or could it have blown a fuse?  I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what to look for in there after I blow the dust off.  The monitor had a nice picture (although as I said before it needed some adjustment) so I don't want to just throw it away if it's something that is fixable.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Endymion

I just junked one of these a few weeks ago that had a distorted upper right corner. I was told repeatedly and by many persons that was caused by a bad capacitor (or capacitors), not sure if this has anything to do with your unit breaking as I just got rid of it after letting it sit for so long.

Jibbajaba

No there were no picture distortions except for the geometry thing, but I found the pot inside to adjust that.  I think I have a bad power supply, so I am going to try swapping it out tomorrow.

Chris