VGA -> Sony 34-pin Multi RGB Input (Sony KX-27PS1)

Started by benno, February 25, 2009, 06:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benno

Hi,

i've been searching the web on my issue/question and luckily stumbled over this excellent forum.. ;-)

I'm evaluating the options to connect a Sony "Profeel" KX-27PS1 [1] with it's 34-pin multi RGB port [2] to a VGA Source (aka Laptop).. after all the info i read the past 2-3 hours, I'm still in the dark..:

1. Is it only a matter of connecting the proper pins with a custom made adaptor cable, or..
2. Is some kind of circuitry involved, and if, how complicated?

Technically i have no problem with soldering, fiddling with connectors and all that, however if a dedicated circuit beyond a few resistors/capacitors or alike 'd be involved, i'd probably ditch the whole idea.

thx for input,
Ben

[1] looks-wise identical: http://www.sony.net/Fun/design/history/product/1980/kx-27hf1.html
[2] http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/SONY_RGB_MULTI_INPUT

antron

I seriously doubt that tv/monitor will take a VGA signal.  It is made for older computers, outputing CGA perhaps.  Some graphics cards can be made to go this low.  People do it to run MAME on a real arcade monitor or SCARt TV, which is essentialy what you have.  You can also connect RGB capable game consoles to it.  Very uncommon feature for a tv in the states (if that's where you are)

kendrick

I've been reading the specs on that monitor. It's supposed to be able to do 500 horizontal lines, so theoretically it should be able to take a 31 kHz signal, which would be standard 640x480 VGA. But don't quote me on it, and if you test that and blow out the monitor don't blame me. But it looks like the Sony screen will also take separate horizontal and vertical sync and has some decent safety buffering, which might not make that as risky as it sounds.

To answer the original question? If you do just hook up the R/G/B/HS/VS lines from a VGA cable, don't expect to do more than standard VGA resolution. If you want a circuit, you might has well go with a standard VGA-to-RGB convertor box, as this monitor almost certainly does do the 15 kHz of standard arcade RGB screens. Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Endymion

This is an extremely old broadcast monitor. It looks like it is the European variant of the PVM type. There is no way it does VGA. You will have to use 15KHz RGB with it, not 31, and that means composite sync and not H+V. It is an extremely nice monitor, however, it will also do either PAL or NTSC.

Edit: Found a little more info here.