Wii Audio/Video DAC video mode selection and pinout?

Started by Link83, February 17, 2009, 02:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link83

Hi all,
I have a few ideas and questions about the Audio/Video DAC used in the Wii - I have read abit alot but most info seems to be from when the Wii first launched, and lots of new info has come to light since then (Forgive me if any of this seems obvious to some of you)

We know that the NTSC Wii supports S-Video, and the PAL Wii supports RGB Scart instead.

However, I have read that PAL Wii owners who use an RGB Scart connection have had problems playing NTSC games (Using Freeloader etc) as they only get a strange 'red image' forcing them to switch to using Composite or Component cables.

Now this suggests to me that that S-Video/RGB support on the Wii is set in software, eg the Bios, Menu and Games independantly have a 'flag' which tells the DAC to switch to either S-Video or RGB output (abit like Dreamcast games 'IP.BIN' file which specified what video modes the game would support)

So im assuming that PAL Wii Software tells the DAC to output RGB at 15kHz, and the NTSC Wii's Software tells it to output S-Video - but has anyone actually confirmed this? and if so would it not be possible for homebrew software or modchips (Not condoning piracy) to force the video mode?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I wondered how much progress has been made on a pinout for the Wii's DAC chip which is labelled 'AVE-RVL' (Audio Video Encoder - Revolution) BU9055EKV. Heres a pic I found online:-

I would love to make a pinout myself but i'd really need an oscilloscope and im afraid they are too expensive for me, but im sure someone on these forums must have the necessary equipment?  ;)

It would be interesting to find out if there are yet more mode selection pins on the DAC which are not connected to the AV Connector - perhaps even some to enable VGA?

Also, considering the similarities between the Gamecube and the Wii i'm positive that three of the input pins on the DAC will be for audio data (LRCLK, SDATA & BCLK) which are all the signals needed to add digital audio to a Wii - In fact you could probably use the already existing Gamecube Digital Audio mod:-
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendogcda

Maybe somebody with an oscillocope could take a look?

Any thoughts/ideas welcome  :)

albino_vulpix

The video mode is indeed set by the software, and Homebrew can force the video mode. See here.