SCART RGB: Blanking Pin or Sync Stripper?

Started by Blaine, February 07, 2009, 10:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

I've thought about it and it seems like a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situations but... I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has some input.

I've wired up a scart input to my Gonbes board. Now I need sync. I can either apply 5 volts (through a resistor) to the blanking pin and have the console output a csync over pin 20 - or I can put in an LM1881 (and run the 5 volts to it) and just strip the sync from the composite video at pin 20.

Right now I'm leaning towards applying voltage to the blanking pin, if only so it'll be less crowded in the enclosure.

So... any thoughts? Anything I might have missed that would make one or the other a better solution?
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

NeWmAn

Can you explain why do you want to apply 5v to the blanking?

Blaine

So whatever the scart cable is hooked up to will output RGBs.

Blaine

Upon closer examination... I guess that's not actually an option. I mis-read the direction the signal goes. So... LM1881 it is.

I'm gonna have to order some more, I'm down to my last one  :-\

Holering

Quote from: Blaine on February 07, 2009, 12:38:06 PM
Upon closer examination... I guess that's not actually an option. I mis-read the direction the signal goes. So... LM1881 it is.

I'm gonna have to order some more, I'm down to my last one  :-\

Hey blaine have you had success upon adding the LM1881? I have the same gonbez board and I can't use the composite video as sync for the rgbs connection... I'm about to purchase an LM1881 and wire it up to hopefully fix it (scart rgb- lm1881+gonbez board).

Also have you used an NTSC SNES with scart through rgbs without issues?...

Edit: I also was gonna add that if I use an rgb to ypbpr converter box with the snes going into the gonbez ypbpr input which then goes into the monitor it still seems to have subtle sync issues on very bright screens (it always loses sync on earthbound when the screen flashes white after a smaaaaashiiiing!!! hit in battle) in games. It also seems to happen on other systems as well but it's very rare compared to the snes. Of course the other systems were also converted from rgb to ypbpr before going into the gonbez pcb... I'm hoping going straight through the gonbez pcb rgbs connector with an lm1881 would solve this issue...