Couple of questions- SNES & DC

Started by GUTS, January 23, 2009, 06:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUTS

Had a couple questions if anyone could help me with I'd be super appreciate, I've googled both of these exhaustively and can't find any definite answers. (everything here is NTSC)

First- I'm trying to run my SNES through my Jrok component encoder. I wired up everything as it says on here but I'm not getting a sync. I found a guy who said to put a 100f 10v capacitor on the sync line which works sort of except that I have to touch one of the points and ground it for a second, then let go and everything works perfectly. I've tried adding a resistor to ground on the line but that does nothing. It stays with a perfect sync until I unplug the cable, then I have to touch it again to get the sync.

Second- I have my Dreamcast running trough the Jrok with a switch to go between 480i and 480p. Everything looks awesome in 480p except there are some faint ghosting lines on bright images; for example on the dashboard the blue on the left of the screen has 3 progressively lighter ghosts to the right of it. It's only noticeable on bright images and it's pretty minor, but I'd like it to go away if at all possible. I've built the RGB cable twice and tried it on 2 different Dreamcast systems so I'm hoping it's not a problem with my Jrok encoder. The RGB cable I built just taps RGB directly from the AV port and has two 150 ohm resistors on the Hsync & Vsync which are then connected together and run into the sync on my Jrok.

Anyway, any help on these would be awesome, I'm out of ideas.

GUTS

Well I managed to partially solve the SNES problem; I tapped c-sync directly from the chip (pin 8 on a S-ENC 9242B chip) and that works great except that now it randomly "vibrates," by which I mean the picture will be perfectly stable for any random amount of time from 0-30 seconds or so then everything slightly vibrates for anywhere from 1-5 seconds then becomes perfectly stable again. I remember having this problem with the S-Video cord I used to use so I know it's not a Jrok issue, but maybe something about SNES systems not liking HDTVs?

GUTS

Hah I keep answering my own questions, but at least this will be useful if anyone else tries to hook a SNES up to a Jrok on an HDTV through component.

I finally figured it out- I had to build the sync amp from http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbturbo.htm and it appears to have cleared up the random shaking I was getting. The SNES looks amazing now!

So to sum it up if you have a Jrok- tap C-sync directly from the chip and build a sync amp for a perfect picture. RGB seem to be perfect out of the AV port so I'm not going to mess with those other than adding the 220uf caps like the pinout says.