Anyone doing a/v mods for nes2 for some bucks?

Started by babayaga, January 14, 2009, 07:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babayaga

Just wondering if someone experienced is doing a/v mods for the top loader nes, as I dont think it would be smart
to open it up and go for it my selfe. Read trhough a few places that claimes at least one of the mods reduces the
verticle line issue.

kendrick

Which mod in particular are you asking about? The most common one is the composite/audio mod that adds RCA jacks and bypasses (or removes) the RF unit. It's also possible to add an RGB encoder from a compatible clone device so that the top-loader produces true RGB output, if that's what you're after. Both mods would address the vertical line issue to some degree.

babayaga

Well, I only want to reduce the vertical lines, so the easiest and best mod for only that =) The few mods i've found instructions for on the net is either a bit confusing or needing a spare component from a toaster, and im not willing to destroy my toaster for it :|

Any suggestion of a good tutorial? =)

viletim

The vertical lines are due to a crap board layout. The transistor video driver does its job but won't help with the lines.

ken_cinder

Just out of curiosity, is it said transistor being situated in a place where it easily receives interference, that causes this?
If so, wouldn't an easier mod be to remove and wire it, and mount it elsewhere further from the interference. That or shield whatever is responsible for the interference better?

I sold the last 2 NES systems I had in the summer.

viletim

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on January 15, 2009, 03:56:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, is it said transistor being situated in a place where it easily receives interference, that causes this?
If so, wouldn't an easier mod be to remove and wire it, and mount it elsewhere further from the interference. That or shield whatever is responsible for the interference better?

From what I gather it's the routing of the analog parts signals of the PPU that are the problem. The transistor amplifier just boosts the drive current, the signal is distorted before this point. I had one of these mini NES systems several years ago but since I got rid of it I haven't seen one.

Endymion

Quote from: viletim on January 15, 2009, 10:36:09 AM
The vertical lines are due to a crap board layout. The transistor video driver does its job but won't help with the lines.

I am wondering, do the various clones that have sprouted everywhere in the last two years have this issue? That would probably be a much better option for the OP, or anyone else for that matter, unless you really wanted the Nintendo original for some reason.

A Murder of Crows

I flat out know i'd like mine modded out....RGB mod plus composite out, and if possible, a faked stereo signal with some POTs for mixing it

So, if anyone out there is doing this mod, please hit me up!

eastbayarb

Quote from: A Murder of Crows on January 16, 2009, 03:45:01 PM
I flat out know i'd like mine modded out....RGB mod plus composite out, and if possible, a faked stereo signal with some POTs for mixing it

So, if anyone out there is doing this mod, please hit me up!

acem77 made me an NES (not NES2) with RGB mod and faked stereo knobs (which actually sound great, especially for FDS games and some japanese games like Gryzor and Castlevania III-JAP). He also added powerpak compatibility. It is connected to one of my 4-port SCART switchers (which have a VGA connector on the end of them). It truly is an awesome system, but I had to send him a playchoice 10 board that I bought from ebay so he could use it's PPU to perform the RGB mod. It sure looks GORGEOUS on my 37" 15khz/31khz monitor along with my other RGB systems (SNES, N64, PC Engine Duo-R, Atari Jaguar/Jaguar CD, Sega Saturn, Sega CDX/32x/Power Base Converter, PSX, PS2)  and VGA systems (Gamecube via Vdigi VD-Z3 component to VGA transcoder, Sega Dreamcast). Now if only he can finish with my 3DO RGB mod..... :)