PS3 supports 480p/576p over SCART/AV-Multi?

Started by antron, January 05, 2009, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antron

did any one ever notice that the PS3 supports 480p/576p over SCART/AV-Multi?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

so with separated syncs it would be native VGA.  does anyone know how the sync is output in this case?  c-sync on the c-video output?  so that could be fed to a VGA arcade monitor, or split with a LMH1980 and displayed on any monitor?

viletim

Endymion

I thought this was well known by anyone who fiddled with PS2 VGA cables, the old BLAZE VGA boot disc, or the more recent XPloder HDTV Player. The same pins that send the Y-Pb-Pr indeed send RGB, and they also send VGA if you boot using those discs. The video is absolutely sync on green.

As the PS3 uses the same pinout for that particular cable port, its functionality is the same as well. You could build a dongle for a component cable if you like, or hack up a component cable for a permanent VGA cable to use. Additionally, if you could locate one of the PS2 VGA cables that were ready made, that would work as well, although there seems to be some contention as to whether those actually work with non sync-on-green monitors--some people I've seen say they do, several others I've seen say they do not and must be modded. I think every screen I have, both my HDTVs and my PC screens, support sync-on-green so I could never tell.

RGB32E

Quote from: antron on January 05, 2009, 03:46:41 PM
did any one ever notice that the PS3 supports 480p/576p over SCART/AV-Multi?
Yes, it's one of the first things I tried out with the PS3.

so with separated syncs it would be native VGA.  does anyone know how the sync is output in this case? 
Maybe if you're refering to 480p (not sure if 576p has a graphic standard equivalent).  The sync signal is contained on the green video signal (RGsB) when the PS3 is outputing video with the AV Multi/480p mode.

c-sync on the c-video output? 
No signal output on that pin when the system is in a progressive mode.  The sync is on green.

so that could be fed to a VGA arcade monitor, or split with a LMH1980 and displayed on any monitor?
I think an Extron RGB interface of sorts would be the best route (ebay search "extron rgb"), since one of their primary functions is to remove the sync off of a green video signal... This topic has shown up before, and I recall someone insisting upon building a circuit (and probably never did) to accomplish this... but is ultimately not worth while, and no simple circuit will do this right. 

While a LM1881 or LMH1980 obtains a sync signal when feeding a green with sync, it does not remove the sync from the green video signal, which can cause problems when connecting to a monitor (gives the picture a strong green tint).

This box will also work (connect a component cable with rca to bnc adapters) very well and shows up on ebay from time to time:
http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=cvc200&search=cvc%20200

antron

Quote from: RGB32E on January 09, 2009, 06:29:30 AM
While a LM1881 or LMH1980 obtains a sync signal when feeding a green with sync, it does not remove the sync from the green video signal, which can cause problems when connecting to a monitor (gives the picture a strong green tint).

I was wondering about this.  oh well.  Looks like I did the right thing by getting the HDFury adapter. 

thanks everyone.

l_oliveira

Those 8@st45d$ at Sony locked up the PS3 OS so one can use only up to 480P in RGB mode with SOG activated.
At PS3 linux you can use all resolutions your monitor is capable of.

That made me really unhappy.  Did I mention that they disable SoG and switch to YCbPr when you play a  BluRay video disc ?
It makes me so maaaaad ><

RARusk

Some time ago, while browsing the net, I found a little dongle called the HD Fury that converts HDMI digital signals into RGB Analog signals. Last time I looked, though, it cost $150. I think it would be an excellent way to get around those SOG and Blu-Ray problems. I should point out that I currently do not have a PS3 at the moment but I was doing some research about it when I stumbled onto the HD Fury.

@I_oliveira
I don't know if you are still actively involved at psx-scene.com but I have an interesting problem. I still have an account at the site and can log in but I cannot make any kind of posts whatsoever. I tried to contact the administrators but I don't think they have received my queries. I just recently learned to install Free McBoot onto my memory cards and installed about 40 games onto a 160GB hard drive for use with HDLoader. I would like to ask questions at the site but I can't do it right now because of this problem.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

l_oliveira

How about trying to log in, change something on your profile then log out and log in again ?
If it doesn't work it might be that your account got moderated by the admins or their database is damaged and the forum is acting like if you were moderated (posting rights disabled for you)

RARusk

I'll give that a try.

And this is the site I referred to earlier:

http://www.hdfury.com/

They just released an upgraded version and is more expensive than the previous one. Judge for yourself.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

antron

Quote from: antron on January 09, 2009, 06:59:49 AM
Looks like I did the right thing by getting the HDFury adapter. 

like I said, I did the right thing.  I got mine for $60 from monoprice.  looks great.  no external power needed.  it's just that my arcade monitor doesn't go past 800x600, so the highest compatible resolution with a ps3 game is 640x480.  I just thought maybe I didn't need the hdfury after all.  but it is nice to be able to use it with PC monitors up to 1080p.   

Endymion

A little late in the thread for this, but anybody wanting VGA via PS3 or PS2 should look here, it's a ready-made VGA cable terminating in the Sony port on the other end, made by VDigi it looks to be a fairly quality cable to me (but then these are just pics). I do not know first-hand if this cable solves any sync-on-green issue. The screenshot demonstration photos show the cable connected to a Viewsonic, and I know that at least the last time I purchased a Viewsonic (about . . . four or five years ago?), Viewsonic was very prideful of their line supporting sync-on-green. However you can see the VGA dongle with a small green plug breaking away, maybe they separated it under the hood there, anyway it is a ready-made cable and is under $40.

RGB32E

Quote from: Endymion on January 17, 2009, 12:48:43 AM
A little late in the thread for this, but anybody wanting VGA via PS3 or PS2 should look here, it's a ready-made VGA cable terminating in the Sony port on the other end, made by VDigi it looks to be a fairly quality cable to me (but then these are just pics). I do not know first-hand if this cable solves any sync-on-green issue. The screenshot demonstration photos show the cable connected to a Viewsonic, and I know that at least the last time I purchased a Viewsonic (about . . . four or five years ago?), Viewsonic was very prideful of their line supporting sync-on-green. However you can see the VGA dongle with a small green plug breaking away, maybe they separated it under the hood there, anyway it is a ready-made cable and is under $40.
Sounds like a job for Blaine (buy, try, and check under the hood)!  :D

antron

Maximum output resolution:  (640 x 480 / 1280 x 720) @ 60fps

this is probably a component to rgb converter, as the PS3 won't do 720p via RGB

mayflash makes one too:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp-49-en-70-2jp6.html

with a Wii connector and it supports 1080p (distorted maybe)
it also has the green RCA cable, it is colorless composite video to get your console out of interlaced mode.

Endymion

Did you look elsewhere on VDigi's site? They have a VGA cable for the Wii as well. It has another short green plug and they state it only supports 640x480, no 1280x720. Why does it require composite split away for eliminating interlacing?

I just ordered one. We'll see how it goes.

antron

Quote from: Endymion on January 17, 2009, 06:57:17 PM
Why does it require composite split away for eliminating interlacing?
it is meant for PC monitors, but you use a TV to set the resolution.