which wii ic's do i transplant so my new wii thinks it's my old one?

Started by phreak97, December 28, 2008, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

i reckon this wii is gone.. :(:( but i dont want to lose my saves or virtual console stuff.. so im thinking of trying to transplant whichever ic's contain all the information for my console. i know which one the 512mb flash memory is, but i dont know if thats all i need.. each console has something which makes it unique so the virtual console games will only work on that console and no other.. i need to put that bit in the new wii too..

anyone know anything about this?

l_oliveira

Sadly it's not possible due to:

The said data is kept on the motherboard NAND flash
The NAND flash is encrypted with a unique per console key set
The contents are protected aganist copying. 

To recover them unfortunately you need to repair the console.

phreak97

l_oliveira

phreak97

damn:(

nintendo will replace my wii with a new one for $250 and transfer what data they can, but i dont get to keep the old one..

l_oliveira

I think you should go for that as it's the only way for you to recover your online purchases and keep your wii friend list.

phreak97

theyre saying they might also be able to work something out where i keep the old wii, but itll mean buying a wii from somewhere else.

l_oliveira

Because data recovery involves extraction of the encryption information, I am pretty sure the wii will have to be repaired prior to the extraction...

There is a diagnosis port on the holywood (GPU and I/O) chip (GPIO) which can be used for that work, but in the very least they really need the holywood chip running to perform the data recovery.

phreak97

yeah, the transfer via serial is just to credit me with the appropriate number of wii points for the games i had downloaded, no real data recovery, but i'd be happy with that. i dont know if theyll do it for me, but i've spoken to someone else who they did it for in the us.

l_oliveira

Well .... It's about Nintendo we're talking about. It's all about service, here.
They can retrieve your shopping history easily with your wii's barcode/sticker.
Sadly, kiss your saved game data goodbye ... lol

phreak97

yeah, i've kinda gotten used to the idea of losing all my saves, there werent any games i was currently playing on wii anyway. shopping history is what i'm after, that's what actually cost me money.