Ps2 japanese imports on USA slim ps2 with gameshark? What other non-mod method?

Started by Holering, December 17, 2008, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holering

Just wanted to know what the easiest-nonmodding method would be to play japanese imports on an american slim ps2 system (I purchased this in 2007). I may pickup this gameshark I found at a thrift store and was wondering if that would work (I heard these gamesharks work as boot discs?). I've also read about the swap magic (the one with 2 discs. 1 CD-rom and 1 DVD-rom) but they seem to be kinda expensive. Isn't there just a simple disc/s out there that'll just put the ps2 into japan mode and I can easily swap discs? I don't plan on playing backups btw. I really want to be able to play sega rally 2006 and Mushihimesama amongst others on my american ps2. I really don't want to mod my system as I tend to go against that religiously (unless it's one of my bastard systems which I don't have a ps2 of...)

ken_cinder

If you want to make a backup of your import to run, you can patch it with a program called 'ESR" and install "FMCB" to your memory card.
Then you just pop the backup in like you would the original, and play.

Otherwise, I don't know of an easier method than Gameshark/Action Replay/Swap Magic.

Holering

I'm assuming you're talking about the softmod exploit that installs on the memory card? My system was purchased in 2007 (around march I believe) so I'm hoping it'll work (I heard on some systems it don't).

I wouldn't mind making backups, though I'm worried about the game not performing the same as the original source. I know ps2 lasers tend to be the worst ever (disc read errors come to mind. Probly the worst thing to exist on a console system next to the 360's rrod's.). I wonder how taiyo yuden DVD+R's perform...

ken_cinder

The exploit works on any PS2. As for lasers, the newer models are better, it's the earlier models that were problematic.

Taio Yuden media actually sucks btw, google for testing done by reputable sites. This sort of thing is nothing more than the work of fanboys who think 1 media brand is king.

Any decent media will do, it's the bargain basement priced stuff nobody has ever heard of you need to watch out for. PI/PO error counts are only high enough to affect those adversely, and ANY media has erroneous sectors (Same with hard drives, only they're mapped at the factory in their firmware before shipping) and have extra allocatable ones and MODE1 has error correction bits in each sector.

l_oliveira

Sony patched the bios on new PS2 units. These no longer check for OSD updates on the memory card, making Free MC BOOT useless.

ken_cinder

Quote from: l_oliveira on December 23, 2008, 02:05:35 PM
Sony patched the bios on new PS2 units. These no longer check for OSD updates on the memory card, making Free MC BOOT useless.

Maybe you should re-check that. It works on ALL PS2 models according to the authors. Even the latest v15b's are reporting working, 9004's.

l_oliveira

I'm absolutely sure about that. Units of the 9000x series with bios version 230 no longer check for OSD updates on the memory card.
These can be bought right now with a date code marking of 8C or newer on the console sticker.

Check this thread at PSX-Scene:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/60040-need-help-with-fmcb-and-scph-90002-a.html

Drakon

ps2 fliptop case mod.  Just mods the cd top so you can open it without the system detecting that it's open.  So you boot it with a disc that's formatted as a regular disc that has a bios.  And after that boots you remove it and put it your backup of....whatever

l_oliveira

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on December 18, 2008, 06:59:22 AM
Taio Yuden media actually sucks btw, google for testing done by reputable sites. This sort of thing is nothing more than the work of fanboys who think 1 media brand is king.

Any decent media will do, it's the bargain basement priced stuff nobody has ever heard of you need to watch out for. PI/PO error counts are only high enough to affect those adversely, and ANY media has erroneous sectors (Same with hard drives, only they're mapped at the factory in their firmware before shipping) and have extra allocatable ones and MODE1 has error correction bits in each sector.

I've been using Tayo Yuden media for a while now and they give me great results. Also people talk good of Verbatim (Mitsubishi actually, still great media ...) 
Funny enough only japanese made media seems to work well with PS2s.

Stay away from the other brands. Also it doesn't matter if you use the best media in the world and your DVD-R writer is burning it with the wrong write strategy...  I know this stuff can be a bit confusing, but it's possible to get good results even with middle grade media as long it's a new console and the media is well burnt.

Still, as a user of old/early systems I found that what people say about Tayo Yuden (multiple vendors) and Mitsubishi (Verbatim) branded media is true. They seem to boost the burn quality by a large margin and I even went through checking the DVD drive eye pattern on an oscilloscope. These media gave me results close to the original pressed discs on jitter and PI/PO error rate. (PI/PO error rate and jitter were tested using Sony's diagnosis software and serial cable for the PS2 service mode)