how can I use the midi interface?

Started by Andrew, November 16, 2008, 09:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

my Sharp X68000 is equipped with two expansion cards. One does look like a scsi interface the other does look like a midi interface.

Please correct me if I'm not right  :-\

How can I use the midi interface in games? In Dracula you can select between 3 different sound modes. However I can hear only sound with the first setting.

What do I have to do to hear the midi sound?

Magic Knight

Quote from: Andrew on November 16, 2008, 09:10:43 AM
my Sharp X68000 is equipped with two expansion cards. One does look like a scsi interface the other does look like a midi interface.

Please correct me if I'm not right  :-\

How can I use the midi interface in games? In Dracula you can select between 3 different sound modes. However I can hear only sound with the first setting.

What do I have to do to hear the midi sound?

Well, you need a MIDI synthesizer sound module, such as one of the ones listed on the back of the Akumajou Dracula box, e.g. the Roland MT-32, CM-64, SC-55 etc. I use a Roland SC-88, which works with everything. Some games can't use the MT-32.

I can't tell what manufacturer made the board, but if you have a System Sacom MIDI board, you need a special cable to connect to the MIDI cable of the MIDI box. If you don't have this cable you can make one by following this:
http://www.sssp.mihara.hiroshima.jp/~shimsoft/x68/midicable/mkmidicable.html

Andrew

ok, thank you. Is it worth the money to buy such a MIDI synthesizer sound module? I mean is the sound that much better?

Magic Knight

Quote from: Andrew on November 16, 2008, 10:58:37 PM
ok, thank you. Is it worth the money to buy such a MIDI synthesizer sound module? I mean is the sound that much better?

It's worth the money if you have many games that use MIDI, have a look at some of the games on my list. MT-32's are cheap, but the SC-55 and SC-88 models tend to be more expensive, but have a look on ebay etc. and you might get one cheap. The sound is much much better, though the MIDI is only for music, the sound effects come from the X68000's hardware. Daimakaimura and Akumajou Dracula have tremendous MIDI music.

Andrew

currently I have only 2 games which support midi, but my Sharp X68000 games collection is growing  :)

What's a good price for a MT32 ?

Magic Knight

Quote from: Andrew on November 18, 2008, 04:59:14 AM
currently I have only 2 games which support midi, but my Sharp X68000 games collection is growing  :)

What's a good price for a MT32 ?
You can buy an MT-32 quite cheaply, one just ended on ebay for $51, with the power supply and manual. The manual is not so important if you just want it for X68000 games, because you just connect it to the X68000 and plug it in and it should work automatically. I have a copied manual but it's in Japanese and has been badly copied so I can't read it. My SC-88 was 21000 yen, which is a lot, but I got it from a recycle shop that *guaranteed* that it worked, which is not always the case for items on ebay etc.

It's worth getting a more advanced model than the MT-32 if you can though, they're far better.

Andrew

Quote from: Magic Knight on November 18, 2008, 10:58:19 PM
It's worth getting a more advanced model than the MT-32 if you can though, they're far better.

What are the advantages compared to the MT-32. Better sound quality?

Magic Knight

As Roland produced newer models, they included more instruments with each one, more advanced features and so on. So some games made use of the extra instruments available. The later models still have MT-32 compatibility.

sunn

Quote from: Andrew on November 19, 2008, 07:14:32 AM
Quote from: Magic Knight on November 18, 2008, 10:58:19 PM

What are the advantages compared to the MT-32. Better sound quality?

MT-32 has quie an unique display. Some of the PC games of the era even use the display to print messages :). Space Quest etc. I have CM-64 myself, though. As MT-32 is really wanted thesee days you should grab what you get, I guess :).

Castlevania and Detana Twinbee had really nice MIDI music. Those are my favorites, anyway. On Atari St I like Loom and Police Quest MIDI music.

Daimakaimura

Hi,
When you connect the Midi Synthetizer to the X68000, do you need additional speakers, or audio (Midi and X68000) will menage from the main speakers?

Magic Knight

Quote from: Daimakaimura on November 22, 2009, 09:43:34 PM
Hi,
When you connect the Midi Synthetizer to the X68000, do you need additional speakers, or audio (Midi and X68000) will menage from the main speakers?

You need separate speakers, connected to the MIDI synth. My SC-88 allows connection to either a hi-fi amplifier (the way I've set it up) or to normal computer speakers/earphones (standard jack plug). The synth only produces music, the sound effects still come from the X68000 itself.

TheRogue

Well I was inspired by this thread and I just bought a MIDI card for my X68000 XVI (a System Sacom SX-68M that has regular MIDI ports instead of the proprietary ones) as well as a Roland SC-88GS. The GS I noticed has an audio passthrough, so you can pass the sound from your X68000's headphone jack through the SC-88GS and out to one set of speakers along with the MIDI music. I'm really excited for them to arrive. I bought them with a deputy service from Yahoo! Japan so they should arrive shortly.  I'll post some video so people can see what it's like.

These are the two auctions I won:

MIDI Card: http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r57355215
Roland SC88GS: http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e99031573
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

papa_november

I never understood why they used a whole slot for MIDI cards when they could have just rigged up a serial port adaptor that would've done the exact same thing. It's what the Amiga and Mac people did.

Magic Knight

Quote from: TheRogue on November 29, 2009, 12:52:13 PM
Well I was inspired by this thread and I just bought a MIDI card for my X68000 XVI (a System Sacom SX-68M that has regular MIDI ports instead of the proprietary ones) as well as a Roland SC-88GS.

The SX-68M doesn't have regular MIDI ports, you will need a special cable or you can make one yourself, like on this page:
http://www.sssp.mihara.hiroshima.jp/~shimsoft/x68/midicable/mkmidicable.html

TheRogue

The SX-68M2 has nonstandard ports. The SX-68M has standard ports. Here is another auction with pictures of the SX-68M from the faceplate of the card.

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d98956003

As you can see, standard 5-pin ports. Near as I can tell, the SX-68M and M2 are identical with the exception of the switch to proprietary ports on the M2. The cards are 100% identical.
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

Magic Knight

Oh, that's right, I've remembered now. I have the no. 2 version, with the non-standard ports. So, you should be all set to go. With the SC-88 you can play everything with MIDI. I have an SC-88VL, great machine.

TheRogue

By the way Magic Knight, I have read that the MT-32 emulation mode on the SC-88 isn't automatic, but has to be set first, how do you go about setting it to MT-32 emulation mode?

Magic Knight

I don't think there's an issue with MT-32 emulation, the SC-88 and other later models incorporate the same instruments as the MT-32, which is a far more basic machine. There is however, an SC-55 mode which is activated by simply pressing the appropriate button on the front panel.  You can also change it so that it behaves like a CM-64, but in these cases it would be more for musicians who had used an older synth in the past, saved a composition designed for it, and wanted to hear it exactly as they wrote it. I've had no problems whatsoever with any game which had a MIDI soundtrack.

I've had a look through the manual for my SC-88VL (downloaded PDF), and couldn't find anything about problems with emulation, so I think you should be ok.

emerald danjon

hi all,i have a roland mt 32 and i no have problem for use with games like final fight,genocide2,phalanx,nemesis90...but when i try with granadaX or gemini wing no way ???...someone to have heard these 2 games with midi?thanks! ;D

TheRogue

I will try it out for you tonight.  It may be that they do not support the MT-32, as there are a few games that require SC-55 and above. I use an SC-88 myself, they are the best for use with classic computers.

EDIT: It seems that Gemini Wing has MIDI drivers on the disk but I cannot seem to activate them. It may be that a certain keystroke is needed on bootup. I will look into it more.

EDIT: Gemini Wing: Hold down F1 on bootup to activate MIDI. Looking into Granada now

emerald danjon

OMG thanks! gemini wing is the only game i have in 3,5 disk  ;D i try tomorrow at morning, Hold down F1 looks easy,granada is one of my original games 5/25 :'(  I think it should need much time to see granada working on my x68k XVI... :'(

TheRogue

To get MIDI support with Granada, edit autoexec.bat on disks 1 and 3 and add the text MIDI_DRV below MDRV and above :LOOP

Magic Knight

For MIDI in Gemini Wing, you hold down one of the following keys when booting, depending on your setup:
F1: MT32 or CM32L
F2: CM64
F3: CM64 + SN-U110-10 expansion card
F4: CM64 + SN-U110-07 expansion card

For Granada, hold down the 登録 key while booting.

emerald danjon

yeah!I look forward to hearing grenade in midi thank you!someday make granada works in 3/5 disk GRRRRRRRRRR :D

emerald danjon

I listened today gemini wing in my roland mt 32  ;D¡that happiness! ;D
thank you very much guys have a fantastic sound,
one of the goals of my life is done ::)
one day his turn to xgranadaX Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

gemini wing working in x68k compact XVI and sounds in roland mt32.MOV

the happy video! 8)

x68000

Are all midi sound modules for the x68000 external units? If so, what would be the best to go for between the Roland SC-88 Pro and the VL model?

Last question (promise  ;),  Do all x68000 systems have the relevant midi inputs as standard, or do they need an additional interface?

I hope these are the most compatible ones out there!  ;D

NFG

No X68000 system has MIDI ports built in.  They all need an optional expansion card. 

The MIDI just tells the external box what to do, the box itself generates the sound.  Hence, you need the best quality external box you can find (keeping in mind the software is quite old and won't really use many features in newer boxes).

x68000

Ah ok, thanks for that info - So I should be fine with the Roland SC-88 range?

These modules are so ridiculously cheap nowadays (considering the tech)

x68000

Is the MIDI inteface specific to the X68000, if so, anyone got ideas what is the easiest way to obtain one?

May have sourced a system, but has no interface included.

NFG

MIDI on the X68000 requires a dedicated expansion card.  Since your XVI won't have a RAM expansion card (it SHOULDN'T at any rate) your MIDI card will leave you with one extra slot for other toys.

(see this thread for details: basically, the XVI-specific card which is mounted internally is the one you want - it runs at 16MHz.  Normal X68 cards will give you 10MHz RAM)

gypsie

I don't understand something very well.

So we need 2 speakers for music midi (from mt 32), and 2 speakers for sound (from x68000) ?????

H68k

QuoteI don't understand something very well.

So we need 2 speakers for music midi (from mt 32), and 2 speakers for sound (from x68000) ?????

You could do it that way... If you have the desktop space... and two sets of active speakers...

Another solution to this problem. is a 2 channel audio mixer (commonly available from most audio gear shops) this is a trick, quite a few members of this forum use to get around this problem.

If you want to do it this way, you'll have to run a 3.5mm TRS to 2x RCA/phono cable from the line out or headphone out(may give you loud, distorted audio... if it's turned up to much on the volume control though) and another from your external midi synth, and plug each one into a different input on your mixer... and run a cable from the mixers main output to your speakers/amp whatever... after you've done this. you'll have to adjust the volume levels from the X68k and your midi box to your liking on the mixer.