Can you modify a Xbox 1 component cable to 15hz rgb ?

Started by Truthkeeper, February 03, 2010, 01:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truthkeeper

I had a Xbox 1 scart cable modified to 15hz RGB to run through a 15 pin d sub before. Is it possible to modify a xbox 1 component cable to  15hz or is that scart only?

Please let me know

RGB32E

Quote from: Truthkeeper on February 03, 2010, 01:57:31 AM
I had a Xbox 1 scart cable modified to 15hz RGB to run through a 15 pin d sub before. Is it possible to modify a xbox 1 component cable to  15hz or is that scart only?

Please let me know

Yes, it is possible to midify a Xbox component cable to output 15kHz RGB (RGBS).  The Xbox connector that plugs into the system can be opened and rewired as you desire.  For RGB output (see wiki link below), it's just a matter of having all 3 mode select pins connected to ground.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:xboxav

lakeofblood

Perhaps I don't understand the whole story so sorry to ask but just out of interest why do you want 15khz using a Component cable? Via what type of connection and into what are you feeding it?

There might actually be a problem depending on the design of the Component cable.   Although both the ones I have (Official MS HD pk. and an independent brand one) come with all pins present that might not be true in all cases. So check.

I bought a Dreamcast RGB SCART cable specifically to mod to VGA using the tutorial from the same web site. On receipt it was annoying to find that the plug only had the specific pins/contacts required for RGBs and so couldn't be used. Same applies to all the DC S-Video leads I have and the official Sega DC RGB SCART is like that too with the addition that the SCART plug is also minimally pinned.      

Endymion

I guess, he probably just happens to have a Component cable, and needs a 15KHz RGB cableso if it's possible to do that is his quickest material avenue. I haven't had the need to open up an XBox cable, but if it is anything like the XBox 360 cable, then all of the pins are used, in fact the 360 even typically has all of the pins filled on the console end with something as simple as a Composite cable, making for easy mods. That wasn't too common a practice for several reasons with earlier consoles.

NFG

Just FYI, it doesn't seem that ALL pack-in 360 cables had all the pins.  For certain, the late model unit I had did not.

Endymion

Hmm, I caught that from the old Benheck mod of yore and used it in the past, sorry if it is outdated.

RGB32E

Quote from: Lawrence on February 05, 2010, 03:03:59 PM
Just FYI, it doesn't seem that ALL pack-in 360 cables had all the pins.  For certain, the late model unit I had did not.

The 360 audio breakout dongle only has the pins needed on it's connector.  The OP specifically mentioned "Xbox 1", so... it's just a matter of opening the connector, adding a wire to change the output mode configuration from component to RGB, and connecting the composite video/sync connection...  I've turned a composite video cable into a RGBS cable before! ;)