Has anyone tried this ypbpr to vga box from techstufftrading.com.au

Started by Holering, November 24, 2008, 09:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holering

Was wondering if anyone has tried one of these from this ebay seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220314982447&category=109889&_trksid=p2773.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D40%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

http://www.techstufftrading.com.au/ypbpr-component-rgbhv-p-277.html

this seller also appears to have a store with these (the second link above) and I just bought one with a %10 off coupon on ebay. Read a couple buyer reviews saying it was a great product so I hope this thing will look great on my SONY G400 monitor. It's also listed as being able to passthrough 480i content so I'm really looking forward to testing my monitor out with this (make sure whether or not this g400 support 15khz as I've read contradictory statements) thing on my nintendo's, sega's and ps2-ps3.

Drewman21

I picked up the HD Box Pro. http://www.hdboxpro.com/eng/public.htm works great with 480i and does some 16x9 stuff on 4x3 screens. I would spend money on it before some Mayflash stuff again. Was not happy with their stuff at all.
Later

Moosmann

Mayflash Box is ONLY a YUV to RGBHV transcoder, not a Upscale Processor (e.g. 480i to 480p/VGA) The problem from this box is very easy to modified:
http://mbrandel.vizionaires.net/?page_id=81

Hdboxpro isn`t a good deinterlacer/Upscale Processor for 480i. It is ok when you use just an Monitor, but connection YUV directly to a HD-TV is much better.

Greetings Markus

Drewman21

Moosemann,
I hear what you are saying about the box he ordered but he did say he is going to use it on a sony PC monitor. The HD Box pro works fine on a monitor and does scale well for it. A HDTV would be better for YUV connections but that is not what he has. And if he ever does want to do widescreen output from that Mayflash box how does he switch it to do that. The HD Pro has a setting you switch it to that and it comes up fine as 16x9 or 4x3. It works for me with a RCA Proscan 36" vga monitor just fine.

Just my 2ยข from what i have used.

Holering

Thank you all for your responses!

Yes I will be using my sony monitor (sony g400 19") and it accepts pretty much any resolution up to 1800X1440 (actually a bit higher but it's too small anyways lol). It'll display 1280X720@60hz in fullscreen stretched manner (this can be resolved with the vertical size controls to make it more proper).

I always hear this mayflash vga001 uses a really good chip (LMH1251) and should be able to pass 480i content as long as the monitor accepts 15.75khz. Not only that but I also heard it "removes the sync from the green" (maybe the poster meant it splits the sync on green?) from here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-799879.html
I did read on another forum someone used a sony G400 monitor with an amiga 1200. http://eab.abime.net/archive/index.php/t-3416.html

I'm still a little skeptical about it since I believe the amiga 1200 can also display at 31.50khz from what I've read elsewhere. It is a multiscan monitor afterall and the specs are off when you consider it can display a higher resolution beyond 1800X1440; not to mention the refresh rates can go higher though this is usually the case on most monitors I believe so it's really hard for me to make an assumption for this particular monitor...

It'd be nice to hear from someone who has a definite monitor capable of accepting 15.75khz and test it with this mayflash VGA001 ypbpr to vga box and avoid the misleading comments about 480i content (it's advertised to work with 480i content as long as your monitor accepts. But every post I read says it doesn't though I doubt they used a capable monitor...).

Is it possible to destroy a monitor by sending it a 15.75khz signal that it can't accept or will it simply just not accept it? I really would hate to ruin this monitor as the picture quality for me is amazing after switching to lcd from crt, and then from lcd back to crt (shoulda stayed with crts...) and the corners don't get blurrier like on alot of cheap crts (those cheap sylvania monitors come to mind...). I recommend if anyone find a sony g400 for cheap to pick it up though it's very heavy and I've read many posts on these monitors dying after a very short while (though I doubt this is the case if you can find a working one today as there 8 years old now so you're guaranteed to not have a lemon if it's still working). It's also got two faint horizontal lines going across the top and bottom most portions of the screen though this is a natural defect on this particular monitor and it didn't bother me (can only notice it on very white bright backgrounds). If this monitor accepts 15.75khz that's even more of a reason to find these monitors but I'll just have to wait and see for myself to confirm  :-X

Can't wait to try my dreamcast on this thing

EDIT: That was a great link (http://mbrandel.vizionaires.net/?page_id=81). Was that after or before being modified?

Holering

I tried various translators and it seems that I have to replace the 220nf (SMD condenser?) for a 10nf (ceramic capacitor?). Could someone who can read that link better translate?

This should fix the problems many people report as far as the screen blacking out every couple minutes or so (more specifically with the Wii) right?

Holering

Well I still haven't recieved my vga001 ypbpr to vga box... It was shipped on Tuesday the 25th from australia to washington state...

Anyone here know how long it usually takes to get things from australia to the US? I've read in other forums with people saying it's usually faster from Australia to the US than from other countries (like 4-6 days fast). Anyone else here have experience?

viletim

Quote from: Holering on December 05, 2008, 10:53:17 PM
Well I still haven't recieved my vga001 ypbpr to vga box... It was shipped on Tuesday the 25th from australia to washington state...

Anyone here know how long it usually takes to get things from australia to the US? I've read in other forums with people saying it's usually faster from Australia to the US than from other countries (like 4-6 days fast). Anyone else here have experience?

It usually takes about a week. Plenty of reasons why it could take longer though.

Holering

well i finally got it today and after having used it with my ps3 i have to say i am very impressEd! I used it on my sony g400 19" and it didnt seem to accept 480i... I Guess that concludes my monitor will never do 15.75khz as much as i want it to...

The picture looks perfect from what I can tell. I dont see any quality loss whatsoever and I havent had problems with the screen losing signal (been using it all day and right now as i type with my six axis. what a pain lol). Perhaps I should try my gamecube? I hear it happens on wii's...

So now could someone recommend a cheap sync doubler? Can I build one? It doesnt need to be fancy with prescaled resolutions etc. I want to build an rgb scart to vga cable so it would need a vga input... Or is there a safe way to install a sync doubler into keene electronics scart commander? Mine has an auxilary vga output. Maybe I could mod it with a built in scan doubler and enable the rgb scart inputs to output sync doubled rgb through the vga auxilary port hmmmm...

Darklegion

Your best bet is probably to get an XRGB-2/2+.Building a scan doubler is not really feasible.There have been schematics posted around for a diy scan doubler, but the circuit is very complex and probably very expensive to build.

Holering

Well that sucks. I thought it would be really cheap to build one based on a certain chip (al820 or something?). But yeah I have been seeing diagrams from google search and it does seem to be pretty complicated with building it on a pcb and what not. I think I would rather buy a secondary monitor dedicated to my older systems such as a commodore monitor. I've ran into some commodore 1702 monitors for free but I don't think those do rgb do they? I think they're only composite video and svideo... Am i wrong?