List of US TVs that accept 15 kHz RGB signals

Started by Josh, September 04, 2008, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

Yeah, I haven't made the list yet, but could we get one going?  If you know of any US TVs that have SCART, Japanese 21-pin, or VGA connectors that accept 15 kHz RGB signals, you could post them in this thread, then we'll compile a list.

Sound good?  I think so.

Wondering if we should include monitors, as well...Ah, might as well.  Just list everything you use/know of.  !!

EDIT:  It begins...

HDTVs

Accept 15 kHz signals over VGA

Acer AT3220A

Samsung LN32A450
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit. ~ Vyse

Endymion

I'm going to start sounding like a broken record here talking about Panasonic's professional plasmas.

Josh

Well, you only have to say it one more time, then just refer people to this thread!  :)
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit. ~ Vyse

ken_cinder

Two LCD HDTVs that I own.

Acer AT3220A - Works over VGA
Samsung LN32A450 - Works over VGA

Endymion

Quote from: Josh on September 05, 2008, 03:26:50 AM
Well, you only have to say it one more time, then just refer people to this thread!  :)

Just go to panasonic.com and look at the plasma screens in their business section. Every last one of them handles VGA (31KHz) and RGB (15KHz). The cool part is that you can do either of these via BNC (the same BNC that takes Y-Pb-Pr) or the D-Sub port, all you have to do is press a button on the remote. So they are all very flexible. They work very well with the lower resolution RGB.

I have a couple of Samsung computer monitors that also do 15KHz via a SCART. It was the first time I ever saw a SCART socket on a product sold in the USA. The ones I have are the 940MW, and the 242MP. Both of these screens are discontinued. In fact, all of the screens that I was aware of with a SCART & 15KHz RGB support are discontinued. But it at least shows that Samsung is aware of the use for this and may offer it in newer models in the future.

cgm

Quote from: Endymion on September 05, 2008, 11:47:19 PM
I have a couple of Samsung computer monitors that also do 15KHz via a SCART. It was the first time I ever saw a SCART socket on a product sold in the USA. The ones I have are the 940MW, and the 242MP. Both of these screens are discontinued. In fact, all of the screens that I was aware of with a SCART & 15KHz RGB support are discontinued. But it at least shows that Samsung is aware of the use for this and may offer it in newer models in the future.

Also add on the 910MP and 930MP, both take 15.75khz from a SCART port. These monitors were truly world models in their design, the antenna input is a Belling-Lee connector (non existent in the US) with an included adapter to use the F connector used everywhere in the US.

Another nice TV/monitor combo that does 15.75khz (see a trend here?) is the Toshiba TIMM (MM20E45), specs are in the wiki. The only not so nice thing about it is its .58mm dot pitch, but for the resolutions it supports, its not so bad. Otherwise its a great 20" CRT gaming display with a standard VGA port for RGB input. I did have some vertical syncing problems with my Apple IIgs, but setting a mac to VGA adapter to H+V sync fixed the problem even though the display claims to support composite and SoG. That adapter basically has a LM1881 built into it.

Endymion

Quote from: cgm on September 06, 2008, 01:29:07 AM
Also add on the 910MP and 930MP, both take 15.75khz from a SCART port. These monitors were truly world models in their design, the antenna input is a Belling-Lee connector (non existent in the US) with an included adapter to use the F connector used everywhere in the US.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but I meant to say there were other Samsung models which held SCARTs produced around the same time. I actually think there may have been 2-3 more models apart from the two others you mentioned, but as I don't have them, I couldn't tell you which they are. If you comb Samsung's site you could still find them as of last year, they were termed as their "multi sync" or "multi" monitors or some similar, all with the SyncMaster name to them. They did have several SyncMaster branded screens which did NOT support 15KHz, but those which did clearly stated so on the specification page of the product, and even noted the SCART port. At any rate, aren't those two models discontinued as well? I had been under the impression they had all gone away and just stopped looking, waiting and hoping for a refresh on the line.

duo_r

does the 15hz signal allow us to hookup say a Saturn or PC Engine via RGB VGA? I have  Vizio and on the back it says RGB VGA, but I thought that was nothing special because all VGA has RGB signals (but also Horizontal and Vertical Sync). But is the big question if this TV will accept a non progressive signal???

cgm

Quote from: Endymion on September 06, 2008, 05:50:49 AM
Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but I meant to say there were other Samsung models which held SCARTs produced around the same time. I actually think there may have been 2-3 more models apart from the two others you mentioned, but as I don't have them, I couldn't tell you which they are. If you comb Samsung's site you could still find them as of last year, they were termed as their "multi sync" or "multi" monitors or some similar, all with the SyncMaster name to them. They did have several SyncMaster branded screens which did NOT support 15KHz, but those which did clearly stated so on the specification page of the product, and even noted the SCART port. At any rate, aren't those two models discontinued as well? I had been under the impression they had all gone away and just stopped looking, waiting and hoping for a refresh on the line.

Yes, they both have SCART ports. I'm typing this up on a machine with a 930MP hooked up to it right now. Samsung marketed them as LCD TV/monitors, the SCART-RGB port is one of the reasons why I picked this particular display. The indicator for this series is the MP or MW (widescreen) suffix. I think what really killed off these monitors in the US is the lack of a now mandated ATSC/QAM tuner. That of course would limit the TV to the US/Canada market (why add in both a ATSC and DVB-T to the same unit?) and thus no more SCART ports.  :(

RGB32E

Quote from: Josh on September 04, 2008, 02:24:58 PM
Yeah, I haven't made the list yet, but could we get one going?  If you know of any US TVs that have SCART, Japanese 21-pin, or VGA connectors that accept 15 kHz RGB signals, you could post them in this thread, then we'll compile a list.

Sound good?  I think so.

Wondering if we should include monitors, as well...Ah, might as well.  Just list everything you use/know of.  !!

EDIT:  It begins...

HDTVs

Accept 15 kHz signals over VGA

Acer AT3220A

Samsung LN32A450

So, uhh.... you can update these pages....  :P
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:rgb
and
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:monitor_data

Also, did you actually get RGBS working with the Samsung A450?  What systems have you tried?  Did you feed composite sync to the HSYNC pin?  Or did you get a sync separator?

@Endymion
Wanna update the Wiki with the Pannies that you've successfully used RGBS on?   ;)  (Even if most all of them are capable)

eastbayarb

Are there any USA TV's that are in the 37" and larger range that support 15khz RGB over VGA? How does 15khz RGB over VGA on an LCD compare to a CRT monitor?

Endymion

ken_cinder

Quote from: duo_r on September 06, 2008, 08:04:30 AM
does the 15hz signal allow us to hookup say a Saturn or PC Engine via RGB VGA? I have  Vizio and on the back it says RGB VGA, but I thought that was nothing special because all VGA has RGB signals (but also Horizontal and Vertical Sync). But is the big question if this TV will accept a non progressive signal???

You'd have to try and see. Neither of my displays lists this as supported in the manual (Like the manuals ever address anything but basic stupidity anyway), I just wired up a cable and tried.

RGB32E

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on September 09, 2008, 12:50:43 AM
You'd have to try and see. Neither of my displays lists this as supported in the manual (Like the manuals ever address anything but basic stupidity anyway), I just wired up a cable and tried.
How did you wire to the HDDB15 connector (CSYNC to HSYNC pin, no separation)?

ken_cinder

I can't recall, as I haven't bothered with it since I got my arcade cabinet and I was working on a special project with that PSOne LCD. Pretty sure I tied to HSYNC only in both cases, but I may have tied to both H+V.