N64 power supply pin-out

Started by Talasonic, January 20, 2004, 05:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talasonic

I was looking for this and had a little trouble finding it on Google.  I think you should put it on this site.  I'm planning to wire up a DB-25 with video output AND power input.  The idea is to have ONE wire other than the controllers, and it being the same wire for every system.  

Nintendo 64 -- 3.3V DC 2.7A, 12V DC 0.8A Nonstandard Plug

The N64 power supply is contained in this specially
designed brick that slides into the back of the unit.  
If you don't have one, buy one from Nintendo.  Unlike
other companies, they support their products long after
they're considered dead.  You can still buy NES adaptors
and stuff from them so the N64 adaptor should be available
for a long time.  If for some reason that's not
an option and you need to know the pinouts, here they are.

MALE pinout on power plug itself
_____
|123|
|456|
-----

1,4,5 = -
6 = 12V DC 0.8A
2,3 = 3.3V DC 2.7A

FEMALE pinout on console
_____
|123|
|456|
-----

1,2 = 3.3V DC 2.7 A
3,5,6 = -
4 = 12V DC 0.8A  

NFG

The reason this isn't listed on the site is that it's listed on the device itself.  Also it's not really useful for a lot of modding since it doesn't supply 5v, which most game systems use.  If it was a 12 + 5v adaptor it'd be a lot more useful.  

Maybe a PSU mod...?  ;)

phreak97

the pins labeled "-" are false.. they are in fact duplicates of other pins.. i dont remember which they are, but there are 3 ground pins, 2 3.3v pins and 1 12v pin.. this is by memory, i could have the numbers around the wrong way.

also i have had to use a regulator to create a 5v source within a customized n64.. it needed 5v for a fan and a modulator.. its easily possible

Talasonic

Are these voltage values really written on the N64?  If not, then I think they should be on the site, for people who don't have a power brick, and wish to build their own.  

phreak97

Talasonic

So Lawrence, you should put this pinout on your site for people who are missing the power brick, and can't get one quick enough!  

Aidan

QuoteIf not, then I think they should be on the site, for people who don't have a power brick, and wish to build their own.
Like me... Who received a secondhand N64 with no power brick, and couldn't find too much on google from a prelim search.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

phreak97

Aidan, its in the first post in this topic.. while the other pins are connected, they are just directly bridged to others, so you can ignore them. just use the 3 mentioned

Aidan

Indeed, it is! I had some fun trying to find it, as I foolishly looked elsewhere first. I did a search here and found it nice and quickly. Serves me right for spending 30 minutes looking elsewhere. I was just agreeing that it should be up on the GamesX site for people like me to find.

Anyhow, as I took the thing apart, Nintendo nicely labelled it all up, so it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

atom

Having a section for power supply pinouts is silly...
Imagine having the snes pinout:

1 -positive
2 -ground

And besides, if you people actually did the work for yourself instead of trying to rape the internet for information, the power needed for the n64 is very clearly labeled on the motherboard. (Assumes Gamebit)
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Aidan

I'd disagree. If I wasn't expecting to junk this N64 I have, then I would have tested it without taking the thing apart. I don't need to be taking things apart just to figure out what pins require what power; that's especially the case when most manufacturers don't bother putting power requirements on the inside either; then you're left guessing what pin requires what power.

Also, how quickly does a SNES die when you hook the power up the wrong way around? Even that pinout is useful!

atom

Lol, yeah, ok ok fine.

Ive never heard of that with an snes, but i definitely have heard that with sega systems!
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

gannon

the snes doesn't die, you just have to open it up and replace it's fuse.
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.