RGB modded N64... but no SCART connector on my new TV!

Started by Captain Amazing, April 20, 2008, 09:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Amazing

Hi all,

After spending days reading and not understanding, I'm going to have to ask for help.

I have an internally modded launch US N64 which outputs a great picture via the SCART cable supplied. However, it's been unused for years since I've moved to Australia and have no SCART on my TV.

Now I have a new TV (Pioneer Kuro) which STILL has no SCART, but does have HDMI, Component, S-Video and PC (D-sub).

What's the best way (and best quality) I can connect these two up and finally play that import copy of Bangai-o I bought years ago?..

Thanks in advance!

NFG

If your TV accepts 15kHz RGB through the DSub port (assuming it's VGA, not a 9-pin serial port) then you can hack the SCART to use that one.  If not, the best you can get is Svideo, as the N64 doesn't do component.

Captain Amazing

Hi Lawrence,

Great advice, thanks!

What about commercially available (or maybe DIY) RGB to Component transcoders? Would they work? And I guess I could use it for other things too...

RGB32E

Get one of these:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=SCART+rgb+component+converter

They work very well... its just up to how good of a job your HDTV does with displaying a component video signal though...

Captain Amazing

Thanks for that link, RGB32E.

I'd had a look at those before but have always been wary of similar things that never work as well as you'd expect. Yours isn't the first positive opinion I've read about them, so I reckon it's decision made.

Good work!

tsenzen

Quotehttp://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=SCART+rgb+component+converter

would i be able to just buy one of these and convert it to J21 pin no problem? just wondering if anyone has done this before? any info will help thanks..

tsenzen

RGB32E

Quote from: tsenzen on June 08, 2008, 08:37:39 PM

Quotehttp://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=SCART+rgb+component+converter

would i be able to just buy one of these and convert it to J21 pin no problem? just wondering if anyone has done this before? any info will help thanks..

tsenzen
I posted this link as a recommendation, as I am a happy owner of one!  :)  These converters are wired for SCART (European pinout), so it will not function correctly with the Japanese 21 pin terminated cabled.  The unit is easy to open up and modify though... 

The only connections that are used on the SCART connector for this unit are GND, red video, green video, blue video, and composite sync.  So, any VDC or audio fed into the unit does not go anywhere or short circuit (this is good).   ;D  The only thing worth noting about RGB to component conversion to HDTV is that some HDTVs take some "liberties" to try and make component look better... and are not very successful (i.e. picture quality varies dramatically based off of the video processor in your HDTV and what picture adjustments can be made).

However, I also have an extron component to RGBS(or HV or SoG), so I did a little experiment.  I connected the SNES RGB to the SCART/Component converter, and connect the component output to the component input of the extron converter, and out to my PVM-2030.  While there was a negligible (must be extremely picky to notice) amount of signal quality loss (going through two converters and 3 sets of cables), I concluded that the SCART RGB to component converter does a great job!

tsenzen

thanks RGB32E

I will definitely be ordering one soon, and convert this badboy to j21 pin out, and loop out the audio as separate connector..

antron