PSONE LED mod help!

Started by trstn12, February 11, 2008, 05:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trstn12

hey there! I'm having an exceedingly odd problem with my psone LCD screen led mod.  I had the mod up and running for many weeks without a problem, and the other day the lights suddenly began to flicker uncontrollably.  I have wired the LED's up to several different sources of +5 volts on both the console I'm using it with, the different 7805's on the back of the LCD motherboard, and even directly to the battery I'm using to power the two, but I'm still getting the flicker. Now, here's where it gets weird...

Despite all of those not working, when I hook the lights directly up to another battery pack running off of 3 volts (two AAA batteries), they light up no problem, no flickering. So I know there are no shorts or anything within the screen enclosure, and there are no shorts in the system as the system works just fine as well as the screen, and main battery pack.  The only thing not running properly are the LED's.  please help! thanks!

kendrick

Flickering LEDs says one of two things; inconsistent voltage tap, or bad wiring. Since you tried multiple +5V sources within the screen with the same set of wires, I'd say your wires are the culprit.

Have you got a resistor tied in series for each LED, or is it just a direct connection? Make sure every wire is soldered evenly and cleanly. This sort of mod job always kills me because I leave cold solder joints everywhere that I have to come back and fix later on. Hope that helps you out.

trstn12

thanks for the help! I am running the connection through a 10ohm resistor, however, I have checked my soldering points several times, and they're all solid.  I still can't understand why with the same connections the led's would work perfectly with an entirely separate AAA battery pack rather then both the original battery pack or original power source (I have tried both)  have any ideas?  thanks again for your help!

viletim

I think you might be killing the LED with  too much current. Typical value for a LED series resistor is 390 ohms for 5V (assuming a 10mA red one).

ken_cinder

I installed a replacement backlight using an LED array powered from a single 5v poiint on the logic board, works great. The original PSU as well as others I have work fine for powering 11 LEDs, so it's not a matched amperage issue.
Unless you're still powering the original backlight, I'm not quite sure what you're doing with these LEDs here.

Check your wires, check your solder joints and take viletim's advice and wire in series with the proper resistance.

You can sort of see my LED backlight mod here - http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim0090vp4.jpg

NFG

That looks like a great idea.  I've got a leftover PSone screen which I'm gonna hack up to fit inside my HiSaturn Navi screen, 'cause the original Hitachi one sucks ass, with its old-tech coarse pixels. 

One day...