Nanao ms9-29 Manual needed

Started by ken_cinder, February 08, 2008, 11:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken_cinder

Recently purchased a Sega Versus City cabinet, which has two Nanao ms9-29 chassis monitors in it.
The geometry is a little off on one, and I haven't gotten around to making use of the second, but otherwise it works fine. I had a look over the controls on the back, and I'm not sure of everything I'm looking at so I don't want to just start playing around.

Finding it VERY difficult to get any info on this chassis, and was hoping someone knew where to find a manual or scan of manual please.

NeWmAn

I don't have a manual for the ms9, but I have few pages from the Versus City manual.
Here are the pages about the monitor controls:

ken_cinder

Thank you! The last 2 pages are exactly what I needed. ;D

ken_cinder

??-?? do you have any more of this manual, with regards to the monitor?

If not, do you have any idea how much power I should be feeding the degauss coil? Right now I have it hooked up to my arcade power supply off 5v 11amps and I don't think that's enough, the degauss is barely noticeable, but I don't know if it's safe to feed it line voltage @ 115v.

NeWmAn

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on March 07, 2008, 12:27:55 PM
??-?? do you have any more of this manual, with regards to the monitor?

If not, do you have any idea how much power I should be feeding the degauss coil? Right now I have it hooked up to my arcade power supply off 5v 11amps and I don't think that's enough, the degauss is barely noticeable

If you need I found the same pages in English (from the AstroCity manual), but there's the same info and nothing more.
Why do you need to power the degauss coil? AFAIK those monitor have a degauss circuit and you only need to press the 'degauss' button on the cabinet.

Quotebut I don't know if it's safe to feed it line voltage @ 115v

I've looked at a schematic from an Hantarex Polostar monitor (which has automatic degauss) and the coil is connected to the line voltage, maybe Viletim can help you with this.

ken_cinder

Automatic degauss on startup on this, controlled by thermistor. Requires a seperate power feed, and there is no manual switch. Even if there was, I'd still need to power it.

Pinout is as follows

R|G|B|S
G|DEM|DEM (DEM is degaussing coil, that I am currently feeding 5v 11amp)
I've worked on it already to the point of knowing the how and layout of it all, even realigning the yoke and correcting purity to damn near perfection.
I just have no specifications, and I want to be safe on the voltage I supply the coil with as 115v may cause it to melt......BUT it's only on for a second or two, so I should be safe right?

NeWmAn

I've opened a few TVs with automatic degauss and all have a part called PTC that powers the coil with the line voltage for a fraction of a second.
I find it strange that you need to power the coil externally ???
Could it be that since the Versus City has 2 monitors,  the 2 degauss coil are wired in parallel or series with just one of the chassis that provides power?

ken_cinder

No, the monitor chassis' use a molex type connector, which splits off into seperate connectors for RGB, Sync and power for the monitor and the other connector is to power the degauss coil.
I learned that the coil is powered seperately by not having it hooked up to begin with, so I fed it 5v off my arcade PSU and behold I got a degauss fire on startup....though weak. I know it's not powered off the line voltage supplied to power the monitor, because without power to the DEM wires, there is no degauss at all.

The cabinet wiring was originally a huge mess that custom fit some sort of Naomi setup (I know this based on the control panel layout amongst other things), which I gutted 90% of, and wired up my own Jamma harness. Then I took that out, and I'm doing a dual display MAME now.
Each monitor is completely seperate, but were hooked up in series via the mess of wiring that was present. Very professional actually, with probably 50 or more molex connectors, but not suited to my needs.

I guess I'll just line it, and see what happens. The worst is I fry the coil I suppose.

ken_cinder

I got ahold of what appears to be the same manual you gave me those pages from, seems the DEM points are for nothing more than a switch. Odd considering when I first tied them together I got no result. Tried it again and behold, degauss.

It's obviously powered off the AC input for the monitor itself. Doh!
The coil sure is weak though, might have to replace it or get/make an external coil.
Wired up the other monitor and did the same, and it was fairly strong.

phreak97

there must have been an external controller for the degauss to sync the two monitors together.. i've never seen such a thing, but you never know. anyway, if i were you i'd put in a ptc, anyway.. itll make it fire the degauss for a short time when you first turn it on.
pic: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51856595/PTC_Thermistor_for_Picture_Tube_Degaussing.jpg
google returned a bunch of results, im sure theres a wiring diagram there somewhere.. i dont think they even need external components..
afaik pretty much all degaussing coils are made for mains connection, im pretty sure they need AC to neutralize the magnetism..

i didnt know you guys knew about arcade hardware aswel.. otherwise i'd have come here about my monitor troubles ages ago.. ill find out what monitor i have then describe the problems. its nothing too bad, but i told a technician i know that when i turn the horizontal size all the way up i still have a cm or two of black either side, and he said that probably means it's producing excess x-rays.. something about the horizontal acceleration, and that it's probably worth checking out before i stand in front of it for hours at a time:P does that sound likely?