News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

saturn region mod

Started by cosine, November 22, 2007, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosine

Hullo, hew person here :o

For a while now, I've had a saturn which I jumpered to run japanese games (since I game my euro games away, but not the console), but it's started to look tired and scratched up, so I went onto ebay, and picked up a euro mark1 saturn (the one with the CD access LED).
Since this is the place I got the region jumper info, I came back, and found the switchless mod, and thought "great, no drilling for me!"
However, I opened up this mark1 saturn and came across a couple of surprises (to me). Firstly, this thing seems to have the same PCB as the HiSaturn Navi, with a seperate board the joypad connectors, and secondly there is no resistors soldered to specify the region, from JP6 to 13. As a test, I dropped in a japanese game, and sure enough, it refused to start with the usual error message.

So after all that, I suppose my questions are:
were "mark1" saturns known to use the HiSaturn PCBs? and since there's no resistors where I excepted them to be, where can it be possibly pulling the region info from?

Thanks  :)

NFG

If there are no resistors you'll probably find that there are traces on the PCB connecting the two pads.  Cut them with a sharp knife (be careful!).

Yes, the board is well known.  I should prolly update the page...

cosine

doh! so there is. The thought never even entered my head.

Thanks  :)