Joytech AV Control Center 245C mod

Started by Shadow_Zero, November 15, 2007, 12:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow_Zero

I have to make a decision now whether to get my money back for my Joytech AV Control Center 245C or try to get it fixed with the info given here (though I'm not sure if the info is complete for the 245C).
I live in the Netherlands and I have no alternative for this switcher.
What would you guys advise me to do? I don't think I have the knowledge and skills to open it up and apply some fixes just like that.

I also made some videos of the problems I have:
http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=68941

I'm kinda looking for someone around who could fix it.
Some info collected from the avsforum:
Quote from: NicolasG;9760895Thanks to a fellow member I saw the insides of a 245c.
The 245C is similar to the 540 (360 switcher) - which has the same problems as the 240c.

The 245 is not fixable (as easily) using the method I outlined above.
The 245 would require removal of several ic's and much more complex wiring.

Quote from: NicolasG;9770245The 245/540 can in theory be fixed. The problem is you will need to run wires from all the Green component lines back to the MAX chip, and then the output runnedto the output signal. Also will need to remove all the 2x1 switch ic's and corresponding circuit (essentially isolate the Y signals)

Quote from: boon_army_cadet;9771137Looking into fixing this problem on my 245 and came to this thread from the one that spawned it.

NicolasG, you said there that:
"They did use better ic's, the TE330, but they did not use a proper amp on the output, thus limiting the bandwith."

Would that mean that the 245/540 problems could be fixed by the addition of an amp to the Y output?  I'm far from an expert, and I may well have misinterpreted what you meant (in which case sorry).  It would be relatively easy to add an amplifier circuit outside the box between the Y-output socket and the Y-plug on the cable, would that be sufficient?

That could even be what the fabled "adapter" that Joytech have told some they'll offer is, and not the plain-old resister that everyone seems to think it will be.

Quote from: slampt;9695996Hey Guys,

OK this is the response from Joytech in regards to the 540C

"The issue sounds like he is having the same problem with his DVD playback as some users are having with the Wii, that is that at times the "Y" channel signal is quite strong. We are currently working on an adapter that will add a resistor to this channel's input and will be available to give out to any customers that are having this problem. I know this does not solve the immediate issue, but as soon as we are near completion on the adapter I will let you know and you can then inform any customer's that require this adapter."

They have offered to swap the 540C for a 245C what do you guys think I should do?

Regards
Joe

Quote from: NicolasG;9760884Thanks for the picture. The 245C is NOT the same as the 240c.
I can quickly see they knew the problems of the 240 and thus resolved to fix them, but they failed.
The circuit used in the 245 is similar to that of the 540 (360 switcher) which again has the same problems. My guess would be they rushed the 245/540 at about the same time.

The problem with the 245 is the same as stated with the 540. They did use better ic's, the TE330, but they did not use a proper amp on the output, thus limitting the bandwith. (You can even see the location between the HEF4051's for the use of TE330's instead of the HEF4051's. They where expecting problems and had placed the pads for the different chips just in case - but the sound doesnt have problems so the chips didnt need switching)

The 245 wont be fixable in the way the 240 is, as the TE330's are daisy chained. (It may be fixable, but would be a much more complex fix)

A quick snaps of the reverse of the board would be handy.
And of the board on the bottom (the optical one).

Alternatively, I'm looking at the upcoming Joytech AV Control Center 640HD PS3. Maybe this one won't have the component problems anymore...